Loose earth bond

To give credit to Watson, he isn't being factually incorrect with those last statements, just misleading.
Since pme, (and before pme too, regardless of pme), it's indeed been regs to bond things that"may become live" (relative to the main earthing terminal, at the point they enter the house)
One that's done, there's not much else that may become live, therefore you're done.

Sponsored Links
To give credit to Watson, he isn't being factually incorrect with those last statements, just misleading.
No.

Since pme, (and before pme too, regardless of pme),
So, not since PME then.

it's indeed been regs to bond things that"may become live"
No. That would be earthing and it does not apply to pipes nor sinks.

Bonding is applied to parts which are already earthed so that when they become live because of a fault (until the OPD opens and disconnects the supply) there will be no potential(voltage) between them.

(relative to the main earthing terminal, at the point they enter the house)
One that's done, there's not much else that may become live, therefore you're done.
All earthed parts could become live in the event of a fault and remain live if the OPD doesn't work

No.

So, not since PME then.

No. That would be earthing and it does not apply to pipes nor sinks.

Bonding is applied to parts which are already earthed so that when they become live because of a fault (until the OPD opens and disconnects the supply) there will be no potential(voltage) between them.

All earthed parts could become live in the event of a fault and remain live if the OPD doesn't work
:LOL:you're not very charitable tonight!

Sponsored Links
So the cliques collective opinion is that in a steel frame building with steel floors, steel ceilings, metal water and waste pipes a metal sink does not have to be bonded.

So the cliques collective opinion is that in a steel frame building with steel floors, steel ceilings, metal water and waste pipes a metal sink does not have to be bonded.

Do you think it (the sink in your example) does need bonding?

If so, to what would you bond it, and why?

who (apart from mwatson) can see the words "steel frame building with steel floors, steel ceilings?"

I was replacing my washing machine at the weekend, and noticed one end of the earth bond was tucked behind the back wooden plate under my kitchen sink, not attached to anything.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I need to do then? ;)
Yes make sure your incoming metallic water supply and gas supplies are bonded directly back to your main earthing terminal.
Ignore any other bonding in your kitchen.
If you don't know how to check, an electrician has the proper equipment to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back