Lorry tears down 25kV cables

Sponsored Links
I have often wondered why one can drive in other than first gear with the tipper raised. One would expect the driver to notice when raised so high, but were only a few inches it would be easy to not realise it had not fully dropped.

I know we have steel wires in tyres, not sure of what is in the rubber type material, I know with wellingtons there is graphite to stop a build up of static, maybe the same with tyres.

I have often wondered why one can drive in other than first gear with the tipper raised. One would expect the driver to notice when raised so high, but were only a few inches it would be easy to not realise it had not fully dropped.

I know we have steel wires in tyres, not sure of what is in the rubber type material, I know with wellingtons there is graphite to stop a build up of static, maybe the same with tyres.
Perhaps he was only a few metres from where he fly tipped and was still in quick getaway mode ;) :ROFLMAO:

i always wondered why BS7671 gave min heights for overhead cables at crossroads that were more than at other places - was it cos they expected crashes at crossroads to be head on thereby forcing colliding nose end of vehicles to rise up to higher levels?

might have been 5.8m rather than 5.2m or some such amount (colliding vehicles lift 2 foot into the air or something)?

Sponsored Links
Don't have that problem with local trains, DSC_8109_tonemapped.jpg.

They have graphite in them,

The graphite is added, to help make the tyre stronger, more UV resistant and to help discharge static. Given a large enough voltage gradient, the tyre will conduct to ground, especially when travelling over earthed metal rail lines.

At that voltage the sparks could simply be the electricity arcing between the metal wheel rims and the tracks.

But it seems there was no RCD protection at 40 mS? I can accept the first flash over, but seems there is a lack of protection there? I can remember being told how thieves were stealing copper, and how they did it, and how the operators would count before resetting the supply so giving time for thief to claim pole then resetting the supply, in the hope of stopping the theft, not in this country by the way, never worked with HV so not sure how faults are detected, but that arcing seemed to go on for far too long.

But it seems there was no RCD protection at 40 mS
But I presumed that the line sees no RCD fault as rhe power has gone from the "L" overhead line, through the 'resitive' lorry (that will be seen as an load / train motor), and into the "N" tracks. So no issue to be seen by RCD (until cable falls on ground or hits a pylon).

There must have been an overload with first flash
I would argue that the electrical resistance of the lorry limited the power spike to less than that of a Train Engine.
ie, there was no overload with the first flash as that power spike pulled less than normal power load of an operating train.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back