Lost electricty supply to the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been in the house since new (8/9 years) and have never experienced any electrical issues, however I have just lost the supply to the garage. Nothing has tripped - the garage trip switch is still on and so is the breaker in the garage - so I have no idea where to begin. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The breaker in the house supplying the garage?

Or if its on a fused spur, try that (look for mysterious switches / fuse plates that you dont know what they are for)

Were you doing anything in the garage at the time?

Is your garage attached to house or is it down the garden?

I once come across someone who had recently dug thier garden and put a spade straight through the cable...

Yes is was burried deep, and Armoured, but in this instance it seemed the out sheild was dmaged and over time the armor had rusted and was easily cut through.... Just a thaught...

Like mentioned earlier double check all CB/RCDs are on. Do you have a RCD main switch in your garage?? If so press the function button on the RCD. If the function button is working correctly and the RCD trips out then you can assume there is power at the garage,as the RCD will not trip unless there is a power source. Assuming there is a power to the garage isolate the garage supply and check all connections in the garage CU. Let us know the outcome !

Sponsored Links
Is there an FCU in the house supplying the garage from the ring final circuit?

Many thanks for your responses. The RCD in the house is on and works OK. The CU in the garage is a Quickline II with 2 MCBs (sockets and light) but there doesn't appear to be any way of testing it (no trip switch or anything). I cannot see any other switches or fuse plates around but I'll try and have a good look in the daylight. Nothing has been going on in the garage (the only thing on was the tumble dryer during the previous night) and there has been no work outside (the garage is detached) so I'm running out of ideas. Is there anyway to test whether power is reaching the CU in the garage? Cheers,

With a meter?
A MULTImeter!

NOT:
RDCRED60.JPG

when you say no test switch, do you mean this is a fusebox with mcb's in it (ie looks like this:
WY206.JPG

with these in it:
WYB20.JPG

I suppose that is what I mean. The box has a Qwikline II 100A Main Switch, a Qwikline II 16A MCB and a Qwikline II 20A MCB. All are switched on, as is the RCD in the house.

Please accept my apologies for my terminology and lack of understanding but I’m learning as I go. I’ve no objection to getting a professional in, but wondered if it was something obvious. Also I’d like to better understand the problem before I call for help.

Cheers
5M

Without a Test meter your limited to visual inspection! Like..Can you see where the garage supply comes into the house? Does it go to the house CU directly? Or maybe through the wall into the back of a socket,FCU next to the socket maybe? You could always check the garage CU for loose connections,poss burnt out? Without being rude though i would suggest if your not comfortable doing that,dont! Call someone out and play it safe :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back