Loud vibration from unvented hot water tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Over the past couple of months the hot water system in my house has started making an incredibly loud reverberation when a hot water tap is opened. I would liken it to the sound of a ruler being twanged on a desk. It is very loud and fades to silence over a period of about 3 or 4 seconds when a hot water tap is opened. It does not do it every time but usually when no hot water has been used for a couple of hours and a bit of pressure has built up in the unvented system. I can feel the vibration in the pipe that leads to the pressure vessel and I can also feel the vibration in the outlet pipe at the top of the tank. I have searched other posts within these forums where a ballcock was identified as the likely source of the problem. This being an unvented system it has no cold water storage. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what the problem might be or any diagnostics I could try which would be safe for a DIYer on this type of system.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you. I attach a picture. It is the white expansion vessel through which i can feel vibration. I cannot be certain that this is the source of the sound. The tank and both red and white expansion vessels were replaced in July 2019. The previous tank had the vessel built in which had failed after 20 years service.

Attachments

• 20200409_192658_resized.jpg
    20200409_192658_resized.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 653
The vessel needs repressurising to ~3.5bar.

Isolate the waterside inlet.
Open the hot tap and allow to reduce to a dribble.
Attach a bicycle pump to the air valve.
Pump.
Measure pressure.
Once satisfactory, shutoff hot tap, re-open inlet valve

Edit - looks like the air valve will be hard to access though (on top)

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
The vessel needs repressurising to ~3.5bar.

Isolate the waterside inlet.
Open the hot tap and allow to reduce to a dribble.
Attach a bicycle pump to the air valve.
Pump.
Measure pressure.
Once satisfactory, shutoff hot tap, re-open inlet valve

Edit - looks like the air valve will be hard to access though (on top)

Nozzle

Thank you for your response. There is about a 2 inch clearance at the top where I can feel a plastic cap. I take it this will unscrew? I have an electric pump for the car with a right angled connector which will hopefully fit. It can also be set to cut off at the desired pressure. Is it common for these vessels to lose their pressure? I will update this thread with the result over the weekend. Best wishes and thanks again.

They are supposed to be repressurised when your boiler is serviced, but it's easy to check yourself so no need to wait an entire 12 months. There's a rubber bladder inside which pushes against the water and being as the air is compressible it can expand and contract as required when the system goes hot/cool. An added bonus is that it can absorb the energy from a water hammer event, which is what you're describing.

When the bladder is collapsed though, the expansion vessel is "water solid" and therefore there is no room for expansion. You might also see water dripping inside the tundish and out through a pipe in an external wall (low down, not over head)

Nozzle

Thank you for the advice. Due to the height of the pressure vessel installation it was not possible for me to check the pressure without it being removed. The installing plumber came back and removed it. The pressure was checked and found to be correct. Plumber took technical advice from the manufacturer of the unvented system and assessed that the problem might be with a defective mixer tap in the house allowing a flow of water between hot and cold water circuits. This in turn was causing the pressure balancing valve to oscillate in an attempt to balance the pressures. In order to test this we isolated the cold water feed to the bathroom basin mixer tap (one of many mixer taps in the house) and the vibration stopped and did not return for the 48 hours during which the cold water to the mixer tap was isolated. This is not a conclusive diagnosis as in fact when the cold water feed was switched back on again, the vibration remained absent. Some days later I noticed that the pressure balancing valve was now venting water to the outlet shared with the tundish. Plumber thought that weeks of violent vibration may have damaged the pressure balancing and so it was replaced under warranty. It has been about 3 weeks now and the noise has not returned. If anyone reads this and thinks they may have the same problem as me, consider the possibility that the fault may not be the source of the noise and set about isolating cold water to each of your mixer taps. Or the problem might be that the pressure balancing valve is broken. Good luck and thanks again for advice given in the thread.

This issue sounds similar to one that I am currently experiencing with my unvented hot water system. For a few months now, following a service of the cylinder (and boiler), I am experiencing a noise and vibration from somewhere on the hot water pipework that is connected to my unvented Santon cylinder. It has been very difficult to narrow down the exact source of the noise and vibration. I have so far had two visits from a qualified and unvented certified heating and plumbing engineer, (in addition to the first visit where he undertook a general service of the tank, anode, valves and pipework). He has so far: 1. removed the hot water expansion vessel and checked that it doesn't have water in it, refitted it, recharged it to 3.5bar and refilled the hot water system. 2. When the noise returned a week later, he suggested that the two safety valves, (the pressure reducing valve and the pressure relief valve), that are located along the incoming cold fill pipe should be changed for new ones on the basis that he considered that one or both might be faulty as they are original to the installation, (21 years old), and might be causing the vibration/ noise. This has also not solved the problem which has now turned from a hiss and vibration to a fizzing noise when hot water is drawn from the tank.

Subsequently, I have taken my own readings from the expansion vessel to see if the vessel is losing pressure through a hole or fracture and introducing air into the system. I have taken pressure readings when the tank is not pressurised and the main cold water stop cock turned off and water partly drained from the system. So, the first reading I took after pumping up the vessel to exactly 3.5bar ,(which is the correct setting for the vessel). Three weeks later when the noise returned again, I took a second reading with the system unpressurised, and the reading had increased slightly to 3.6bar. I cannot see how this has happened as I would have thought that if the vessel were punctured in some way, the reading should have gone down, not up.

Oddly, the noise is at its maximum first thing in the morning when hot water is firstly drawn. Also, the noise we hear is the same every time. It doesn't sound like a hammer noise, more like bubbles being passed quickly through water and then becoming quiet once the bubbles have dispersed. The noise is much lower or non existent during the day. I have assumed that this is because the hot water in the tank has settled slightly overnight. However, I cannot see how this is happening if the expansion vessel is working, (or am I wrong)?

We have discussed the suggestion that the issue might point to a faulty mixer tap with our engineer, which has been discussed here, but the noise occurs whether we run a mixer or non-mixer tap. We have also discussed the unusual observation that if the mains incoming water is turned off and hot water partly drained from the system, that when the system is re-charged, the noise does not occur immediately, but after about a week of use. When I re-charge the system, I make sure that all outlets, (including wc cisterns), are open and that any air that has been introduced by turning off the cold water mains is fully expelled.

The only solution being offered by our engineer is to replace parts along the fill pipe one at a time until the noise disappears. This has, so far, been an expensive and slow process and has not solved the issue, yet. I worry that the noise could point to a faulty expansion vessel, but as its internal pressure seems to be pretty consistent, I am not convinced that the problem is the vessel.

We are soon to sell our house and don't want to leave a potential problem with our purchasers and are keen to sort it before we leave.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? We have exactly the same problem. Had an unvented system installed 2 years ago all ready for an extension to be builtand had no issues BUT then had the same plumber back to install the new bathrooms and kitchen plumbing and now have exactly what you descibe above. Plumber is stumped, he has recharged the tank (but it was fine to start with), changed the PRV, reduced the incoming pressure (we have an acculeator tank) and is now talking about putting a shock arrestor in to see if its water hammer but i get the feeling he is just guessing! ANY help would be appreicated as this has been going on for months now.

Hello George. Sadly, no we never got to the bottom of the noise issue. However, for some inexplicable reason, the noise suddenly disappeared without us doing anything different. When the noise was present, we did ask the heating engineer to come back and investigate further, but never heard from him again. We have also recently moved from the property and consequently don't know if the noise has reappeared for the new owners. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back