Lowering a lighting pylon at football ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wondering if anyone could help with advice or may know of a way to lower a lighting column at our football ground.
We have a problem pylon in one corner and it lovers as far as i can see by undoing the bolts at base plate...but hey its 17m high and it will come crashing down me thinks!!
Someone told me there are spring lowering units or hydraulic lowering equipment to lower these pylons.
Would anyone have any idea where or how i could hire or get someone to come and lower it for us.
Its a shame as the other 7 pylons are newer counter balanced and can be lowered easilly.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, if someone has installed these, can you not go back to them for advice?

If these are the same one you are looking for advice on how to wire, than I have to start to believe this is a joke?

no lec its no joke these are the main pitch floodlight pylons.
We have 8 pylons in total 4 along each side of the ground the other 7 were updated but this one is old skool and doesnt lower easilly.

Im here for advice not too many floodlight experts around this area.

These pylons have three 2kw halide fittings at the top if this helps.

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

The pic on the left shows the base of the post and the pic on the right shows a fixing point about 2m up the post.
The post lowers to the left so the fixing point on the right is a mystery.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Sponsored Links
that post is not desighned to drop down but you know that anyway :D ;)
you have to go up to the top

the one that use the hydralic gear have fixing points an a hinge pivot point

no they just fit either side of the hinge point by around a meter or so and soften the motion up and down

Are there any overhead wires around?

The normal reason for fitting folding posts is the presence of overhead wires which mean you cannot use a cherry picker for changing bulbs.

You will probably find that the others were changed to avoid the use of a cherry picker but this one is in a safe area.

We have street lamps near our office which are designed to fold because they are under electricity transmission cables. The ones away from the wires are standard rigid (cheap) ones.

Cheers for the info i have now edited and added pictures of the pylon and its base.

looks to me like it has hinges at the back perhaps i does hinge down
although all the ones i have seen pivot well above ground level!!!

I see the hinge

the fixing is probably for use with the machine that lowers and raises it at controlled speed

the top fixing is to fix a winch to, best to use a tirfor type so that you can lower it safely and then lift it back up again

That pylon does not look especially substantial to say it is 17m tall.

The ones my co. look after are 30m high, and are an awful lot wider for a start.

Image178.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back