mains power amps of a Galaxy 24

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
my alarm is (from memory) a Galaxy 24-zone. It has 4 magnetic door sensors, two smoke detectors, 3 PIRs, two keypads, an integral autodialer, the internal SLA battery, internal sound bomb, 1 external bellbox.

It is currently supplied from a socket circuit but the RCD occasionally trips, which is inconvenient if I am away. I wonder if the current drain is low enough for me to put it on a non-RCD 6A lighting circuit until it can have its own dedicated radial? Lighting load on that floor is very low.

Sponsored Links
I cannot say for certain but I would not expect a burglar alarm to be taking more than one amp ( thats more than 200 watts ) at worst case. For example when having to re-charge a flat battery when the mains is restored after a long period of mains failure.

To be 100% certain look carefully at the mains fuse ( if fitted ) on the panel ( turn the mains to the panel off in case you have to remove the fuse ) and what ever amps that is rated at will be more than the maximum current the alarm will take in normal use.

my alarm is (from memory) a Galaxy 24-zone. It has 4 magnetic door sensors, two smoke detectors, 3 PIRs, two keypads, an integral autodialer, the internal SLA battery, internal sound bomb, 1 external bellbox.

It is currently supplied from a socket circuit but the RCD occasionally trips, which is inconvenient if I am away. I wonder if the current drain is low enough for me to put it on a non-RCD 6A lighting circuit until it can have its own dedicated radial? Lighting load on that floor is very low.

What else is on the circuit? Any lamps ??

the lighting circuit on that floor also has 5 CFLs at about 18W each, and one fluorescent strip light on it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back