ADT Galaxy Upgrade - looking for suggestions

Sounds like the battery is faulty

Agreed. The battery should hold with full voltage when power is removed (as long as it's fully charged). The Galaxy panel performs regular load tests on the battery and if the voltage differential is too great under load, a battery fault will be flagged.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps... New battery collected

See how that performs when I get home.

Can you run a 2nd keypad from an external ROI?

Thanks chaps... New battery collected

See how that performs when I get home.

Can you run a 2nd keypad from an external ROI?

Yes, you can daisy chain to 3 additional keypads if required. The panel can be placed at the start or in the middle of the chain. You just terminate each end of the chain, so if the panel is in the middle, remove the RS485 resistor jumper from the panel and place a 680 Ohm resistor across A+B at each end. If the panel is at the end, leave the jumper fitted at the panel and fit a single 680 Ohm resistor across A+B at the last device in the chain. The resistors should be in the pack that comes with the panel.

Eg. Any combination of devices:
Panel (680R) -> RIO -> Keypad -> Keypad (680R).
or
Keypad (680R) -> Panel -> RIO -> Keypad (680R).

Stupid question...
What is the correct method to power the system down?

Sponsored Links
New battery connected... system let me out of engineer mode normally :)

I've also wired that little PCB back in what ever that does.

Yes, you can daisy chain to 3 additional keypads if required. The panel can be placed at the start or in the middle of the chain. You just terminate each end of the chain, so if the panel is in the middle, remove the RS485 resistor jumper from the panel and place a 680 Ohm resistor across A+B at each end. If the panel is at the end, leave the jumper fitted at the panel and fit a single 680 Ohm resistor across A+B at the last device in the chain. The resistors should be in the pack that comes with the panel.

Eg. Any combination of devices:
Panel (680R) -> RIO -> Keypad -> Keypad (680R).
or
Keypad (680R) -> Panel -> RIO -> Keypad (680R).

Have they got to be in essence in 1 line then as what I was thinking was using a current sensor cable to the garage to expand options in the garage with a 2nd ROI & keypad, but this would put the panel at the centre of a 'hub' of 3 chains - is this a no go? They have to all be in series as it were?

Easily got round I suppose as I can just wire to and from my current keypad.

Yes, but the bus is very robust and can cope with lots of errors before reporting a tamper. Many use the star configuration with short runs without reporting any issues.

Sound thanks Galaxyguy! Leave the resistor on the board for that case?

Can I check my door bell and door contact zone settings...

I have doorbell function as 'final' and contact as 'exit' is that correct?

The doorbell push needs to be a 'push set' zone. It cannot be a final zone, as someone pressing the button would trigger the entry timer - resulting in alarm activation.

The door contact should be final with a countdown of 0 (unlimited exit time). The push button will then terminate the exit timer.

The push set isn't normally used on domestics. Normally, the final zone is used on the exit door contact and the exit timer is used. This counts down to 0 when the door is closed. As long as the door is open, then you have time to exit.

Also, the correct way to power down the Flex is to use menu 51.17 and select the power off option. You shouldn't just power off, as the panel uses a realtime Linux operating system with a mounted flash filesystem. If you power off mid filesystem write, the flash can become corrupt, in some cases will resulting in irrecoverable filesystem error. The power off option flushes the writes and unmounts the filesystem.

Last edited:
Thanks
Worth taking the doorbell off the system do you think? Will it activate a tone on the loud speakers as a 'push set'? It did this on the galaxy 16+.
Is it possible to have it activate a tone on the loudspeakers without being used to set the alarm?

You can do either. You can set the zone as push set or even just a benign log or link that gives a chime and also sends you a push notification to let you know someone is at the door.

Ah right that sounds perfect. Are there any general programming threads on here that you could point me in the direction of? Feel like I'm asking questions that may have been asked a thousand times before!?

So I'm not quite understanding something here or there is something not right... Z1 set to push set, chime active... yet no chime. Set Z2 to final and also turned chime on for this... no chime when door opened.

What am I not doing/doing wrong?

I'm planning how I'm going to extend the system and would like so feed back and/or pointers on how to configure the full and part sets.

See below diagram with red existing infrastructure and blue planned new stuff. the only thing I haven't put on there are new reed contacts on the rear and garage doors as I'm not convinced they are necessary.

So Full set - fairly obvious... everything active. Not bothered about entry and exit specific routes, would just like the system to kick in and give you so long to disarm when any sensor is triggered. and in reverse when setting. Presumably that means F/Door contact needs to be 'intruder' function? What are the general settings required?

Night set - I'd like all the sensors in the garage/utility and the F/Door contact to be active and trigger an alarm. What are the general settings required?

Part set (if possible to have part and night sets) - I'd like all the sensors in the garage/utility active and trigger an alarm. What are the general settings required?

Smoke - obviously these to be active all the time - is there any specific setup for these or does giving them the 'fire' function configure them?

Door Bell/Push to Set - Don't need this for the alarm. Is it possible to set this up to activate a trigger? (to ring a nice bell rather than the chime which is bloody awful lol) You mentioned a benign setting for this GalaxyGuy - which 'function' is this?

Future plans will be to get selfmon sorted for notifications!

Thanks in advance folks!
Security Layout.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back