ADT Galaxy Upgrade - looking for suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All! I've looked around the forums for what I'm after but couldn't quite nail the result...

I have a galaxy 16+ alarm and usual scenario... inherited with house, not monitored anymore, telecom error, dont have engineer code... blah blah...

The system appears to be a good one, PIRs in every room down stairs, main rooms upstairs, smoke detector, DT in garage, internal speakers (2!), external boxes front and rear and even the doorbell sounds through the alarm speakers!? (which is horrible BTW) So... I'd like to make use of all this stuff as much as possible.

What I'm after is suggestions/recommendations for a new main box that can utilise all of the existing sensors and a slicker keypad... Something that I can set up myself and that can be self monitored (and if possible integrate with other smart home stuff).

Many thanks in advance and great forum BTW!

Sponsored Links
A Galaxy Flex+ is a direct replacement for the controls. All devices and wiring will be compatible. Scan eBay for decent deals. The flex can be used with touch enter plus touchscreen flush if yomount keypad if you want to splash out on something fancy.

Cheers GalaxyGuy! That's one I'd not really picked up on from reading similar posts... most seemed to recommend the Texecon Elite or Pyronix Euro. What would be the benefits of the Flex+ over the other 2? Presumably this would talk to the existing ROI in the loft also? whereas the others may need a compatible ROI as well?

Another question if I may... Looks like flex+ has a range of models? Any recommendations on which would suit my scenario the 20, 50 or 100?

Sponsored Links
Hi, the flex will be compatible with all parts. Switching controls to Texecom or Pyronix will mean that you need to replace keypad and any RIO. It may also mean that you need to open each detecting device and change balanced circuit resistors.

It depends on what you want to do with the Flex. If you want automation, then the FX100+ top panel provides lots of links for connecting and controlling other devices. If you don't need that long term, then the FX20+ is capable of GSM, GPRS and Ethernet connectivity for Self Monitoring and app based control. I don't think the Texecom smart com supports GPRS at the moment, so cannot really do proper failover in to any IP based service (someone may chime in to update if this has changed).

From what I have looked at as far as encryption and the apps go, the Honeywell is one one of the best implementations security wise. The Ethernet modules support 1024 bit RSA key exchange with 128 bit AES. The Texecom panel only seems to support a fixed AES key derived from a code that's manually typed into the panel - this is better than nothing, but was a last minute implementation and not great security wise.

Hi GG

Brilliant thanks for the reply. Looks like going flex will definately save me some work then and if like you say its pretty much up to speed with apps and integration then what's not to like!?

When you say integration on the 100... do you mean it can also be programmed to act as a relay for other devices if certain input parameters are met?

Hi, yes, you can link inputs or codes to outputs and drive things like garage doors etc. Basically anything that has a switch. The galaxy outputs can drive relays to close the switch momentarily or latched.

For example, you can have a code programmed to link to an output to open an electric garage door. You can open the garage door via the app or at the keypad. I use this for the garage door, heating, lights etc.

Hunting round for a 100+ and the only seller I can find is someone called Galaxy Guy :)

:) If you don't need the automation links, then a lower model Flex FX20 (with 5 links max) may do you. You should be able to pick up a bargain on Ebay, just make sure the firmware is quite recent 3.51 is the latest. I only have the FX100+ panels at the moment, but can do the panel with Ethernet and without the GSM & RF portal for a bit cheaper. Have a look at the differences across the range:

https://www.citysecuritysystems.co....d1028e2479a2077.galaxy-flex-plus-brochure.pdf

Thanks buddy. Having had a look I must admit that I thought I might be punching above my weight with the 100+ lol So I'll probably hunt for the 20 I think

The panels and programming are pretty much the same. I can help with marking up photos if you need any help with wiring.

Brilliant, thanks GG... am I right in thinking that the honeywell app will need a fix IP address to function? And in terms of making sure I get the correct unit I'm looking for product ref C005-XX and will need the ethernet module? Does this require a cable to your router?

The C015 is an FX20+ I think. It's normally around £180 and that's without any comm's modules.

The app needs a fixed IP or DNS. SelfMon provides a Galaxy panel path checking DDNS service, or you can pay for an alternative router based DDNS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back