Maintenace free car

Sponsored Links
A joke car in the year of the joke olympics

The gov would have to give us £600 to buy one with the scrappage allowance :LOL:

It's an effing car FFS!!!! It takes you from A to B. What difference does it make how it looks etc? If it passes Euro NCAP testing then it's safe.

It remains to be seen however, what the UK price will be following any possible upgrades required to the safety of the car for testing and after the good old tax man has taken his whack! :rolleyes: If what is being said is correct and we are 'starting' to come out of this recession I'll bet Vat shoots straight back up to 17.5% or possibly even higher to pay for all the bail-outs.

Good luck to this cars manufacturer I say.

That concludes this rant.

Now then, if you want to talk about a virtually maintenance free car that has the horse power of a normal family saloon (the range is 270 miles, with a top speed of 100mph and 0-60mph in 10 seconds), but is also as 'Green' as well... WATER! then this car (below), is possibly the most important car to have ever been built....

honda_fcx_concept_fuel_cell_sedan_official.jpg

If you want to know more about the Honda FCX Clarity then James May will give you his appraisal of the car here... http://www.topgear.com/us/features/more/driven-hard-honda-fcx-clarity/ but in short... he LOVED IT!!! Sadly, as far as I am aware, there are no plans to bring the FCX Clarity to Europe at present as there is no significant hydrogen refuelling infrastructure over here! Pity. :(

Sponsored Links
A maintenance free car is nothing new. In the early 90s, I used to work with someone who ran a Morris Marina that was given to him by his grandfather as a first car.

The car was immaculate (when he first got it!), but he ran it for several years with zero maitenance. He used the fact that the oil light was showing on the dash as a reminder to put oil in the engine. :eek:

Then one day, it developed a bad oil leak. This didn't stop him driving at 80 mph on the M5, until the big ends went bang!

It's an effing car FFS!!!! It takes you from A to B. What difference does it make how it looks etc? If it passes Euro NCAP testing then it's safe.

It remains to be seen however, what the UK price will be following any possible upgrades required to the safety of the car for testing and after the good old tax man has taken his whack! :rolleyes: If what is being said is correct and we are 'starting' to come out of this recession I'll bet Vat shoots straight back up to 17.5% or possibly even higher to pay for all the bail-outs.

Good luck to this cars manufacturer I say.

That concludes this rant.
well said blas, its about time we had a manufacturer of cars that didnt rip off its customers with overblown prices. hope it starts a price war.

Surely the way forward is to burn hydrogen directly in the combustion chamber rather than convert it in a fuel cell to electricity. Burning hydrogen makes water which is where the hydrogen came from in the first place. BMW made /converted one of their top of the range vehicles to run on hydrogen, a 6 litre jobby. One is being run by or researched by Brum university. The main problem, other than the price £500000, is no hydrogen supplies available. BMW did some work on the inlet timings and variable valve timings to ensure the engine, which is essentially no different from the petrol engine already produced, runs on direct injection hydrogen. They have of course patented their work. I was dismayed to read that the vehicle would only do 150miles on a tank of hydrogen until i saw that it would only do 175miles on a tank of petrol. The price reflects its a research vehicle. Mass production would bring the price down to that of a normal car. Why can't we convert to hydrogen? The oil companies wouldn't like it. Tax would be harder to collect if you've got diy hydrogen production in peoples back yard, just like people running diesels on chippy grease. And of course the government doesn't have the will to force a distribution network to be made, nothing in it for them i expect!

Making an engine that runs on hydrogen is no problem at all. Safe storage in a car is; hydrogen does not liquefy like propane.
And the other problems is of course the production of hydrogen which is rather not environmentally friendly.

By the time you have moved a car a mile on a fuel cell engine, you have wasted about 10 kW on producing and moving the hydrogen for every kW used for moving the car. Energy in the form of coal, oil, gas, nuclear, and about 2% renewable; a fact that our tree-hugging friends don't seem to understand.

It would be far more effective to leave the cars to run on lpg and leave the renewable energy to power stationary applications.
I guess it is case of not seeing the woods from the beards

The hydrogen is created by electrolsis of water. Electricity to do this can be supplied by wind, wave, hydro, nuke or spare capacity from conventional methods which have to produce even when there no demand, i.e at night which gives rise to economy tarrifs.
You can liquify hydrogen and its use is more difficult than petrol granted. Its no less safe than petrol. The Hinderberg Zepp is usually dragged out at this point and this is what happens if hydrogen catches fire, you don't want to be sitting on a tank of this stuff do you, ha ha. To which the reply is sit on a can of petrol and drop a lighted match in and see the difference.
There might also be wasted energy in the production of hydrogen. However there must be energy use in the cracking of oil to get the petrol and other products, how efficient is this by comparision? How clean are the resulting emissions from each products combustion. i understand burning hydrogen produces water, no co, no sulphur products, nothing to cause extra damage to the enviroment.
LPG is a by product of the petrol chemical industry, so you're still at the mercy of whatever they want to charge. The oil is set to run out so will the gas. We are on a planet which is 7/10 ths covered in water, it falls from the sky free, go figure.

The argument of water as an unending supply of energy is as valid as pointing at CO2 as a source of energy; water is burnt hydrogen :rolleyes:

The "clean" burning of hydrogen in as much as not leaving the nonsensical carbon footprint, is as valid as the percentage of non-renewable energy compared to renewable, but times 2 or 3 as the process is much more inefficient than a combustion engine. By the time you have moved the car on a fuelcell engine, you have burnt more oil and coal in electricity production, than you would have used diesel.

And that is all bypassing the fact that CO2 is not a pollutant, and the global warming due to us driving cars is nothing but a scam to increase taxes.
The proof presented in the IPCC report has as many holes in it as Gorden's plans to improve the economy.

Why can't we convert to hydrogen? The oil companies wouldn't like it. Tax would be harder to collect if you've got diy hydrogen production in peoples back yard
If tax was harder to collect, do you think that we'd all pay less money in taxes?

And of course the government doesn't have the will to force a distribution network to be made, nothing in it for them i expect!
Do you see the government as a group of individuals who make only those laws from which they can personally gain?

Sponsored Links
Back