Making secure connections in MK logic sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a great fan of the MK range of wiring accessories; They strike me as well engineered and of high technical quality. For some reason however, I seem to have difficulty in making secure connections if I have more than 2x2.5mm cables to connect, for example when running a spur. Maybe it is my now advancing years, making me less dextrous than I was. Does anyone have any useful tips for making good secure connections in these socket outlets especially when 2 or more cables are involved?

Sponsored Links
It's all about getting your cores lined up nicely. You will probably find that one of the three sits higher/lower than the other two due to the width of the terminal, but if you can arrange them so that there are two cables at the top, and one on the bottom, you can use the top two cables to press down on the third cable. I find with the third cable on top of the other two, one invariably works it's way out

It also helps to keep pressure on the cables as you're tightening the screw - something that feels like it needs three hands, but I use my little finger + ring finger to hold the faceplate, and my index and thumb to hold the cables - jobs a good'un

For some unknown reason, many sockets and especially MCBs have square terminals now, and wires can easily slip out from them if you're not careful.

Anyone know what the obsession for square terminals is for?

Sometimes, for peace of mind, I double the ends of the wire over, even if two or more wires are to go in the terminal. Of course, often there isn't room in the terminal to do this all the time.

And why are RCBOs the most likely to get a poor connection??

Using the correct sized screwdriver makes a huge difference. A 4.0mm terminal driver is the best thing to use.

Also if the blade is worn out you'll have difficulties making a sound connection.

Sponsored Links
Seem to remember we had this discussion a while ago.

Anything still made in the UK - fine
Anything made in Malaysia - carp
Consumer units - wouldn't go near one
Masterseal - Can't beat it (unless the important bits are made in malaysia!)

The terminals are quite deep, and making use of the depth can help get a good connection. Some of the best terminals were on the Tenby Glacier gear, sadly no longer made. (n)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back