Medication Reviews

Joined
30 Dec 2018
Messages
30,059
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Up North
Country
United Kingdom
I requested online access to my medical records, long ago and regularly check in, because I feel I have to...

Today, I checked in and happened to spot a note against one med, of which I was about to run out. It suggested it needed to be reviewed by a medical pro. Had I not logged in, had I not happened to check myself, I would have been completely unaware of the need for a review.

I'm fairly IT savvy, but what about the less able? How does everyone with no internet access find out about these reviews?
 
From what I remember, when you ring to order a repeat prescription, they sometimes tell you that you that you need a review. Then they ask how many days of tablets you have left. People don't end up without medicine.
 
You're supposed to have regular medication reviews if you're on recurring prescriptions. Typically that's annually but it varies depending on risk and other factors.
 
Last edited:
From what I remember, when you ring to order a repeat prescription, they sometimes tell you that you that you need a review. Then they ask how many days of tablets you have left. People don't end up without medicine.

I'm on repeats, 8 of them, so the reviews are often flagged. I have never had a text or call from them, to remind of a review, just the mention when I need a repeat, via the web app.
 
You should be able to ask your GP for a copy of your medical records, although there may be a small fee.
Older records may still be kept as paper files, while newer information is generally stored digitally.
If you need details from when you were born, your GP can explain how those older records are stored and accessed.
It’s interesting how much healthcare has changed, from paper records to digital systems and modern medical equipment.
I’d also ask whether your older notes were transferred to the current system or kept separately.
 
Back
Top