MegMAN 11W DIMMABLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have experience with using these 11w dimmable unit?. I was thinking of purchasing them for my kitchen that has 7 gu10 down lights. (Its a pretty big kitchen).

Are they as bright as they claim? I was planning on buying the warm white version. I know they cost a fair amount or i could go for the on dimmable version which are considerably cheaper.

I appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ive not tried the dimmable but the other megamans i used although GU10 needed a different housing to normal GU10. The body is much larger in depth. So just a heads up check they will fit your existing fittings.

Theres my cue ban. :LOL:

I have two of those lights in my kitchen, the 2x13w version. They are not, as standard, dimmable, but you could purchase dimmable ballasts, there is plenty of space in the gear tray for it.

They are very bright, if you are in the habit of dimming your lights, you might fancy the 1x13w version. And you wont need half as many of these as your halogen ones. They are instant start and come on at close to full brightness.

But you probably dont want to have to fill in those nasty holes in your kitchen ceiling do you? The Megaman lamps are a compromise, and take a few minutes to reach full brightness - something many people find unacceptable.

Sponsored Links
I bought some 20w dimmerable CFL lamps a short time ago, although the do dim they do not dim linearly.

I have a switch dimmable megaman lamp and it buzzes. Irritating in a lounge.

The non-dimmable 11w Megaman lamps are junk.

Took a full 2 minutes to reach full brightness, and even then were still nowhere near the brightness of the halogen GU10s they are supposed to be equivalent to. The light wasn't anything like the halogen either, it was a nasty shade of pink.

See these reviews from other people

Seems that stuffing a fluorescent tube into a tiny little lamp enclosure simply doesn't work.
Stick to the larger ones as suggested by ban-all-sheds.

OH My, they seem like a pile of Sh*te.

Okay that has got me thinking... Im sticking with low voltage MR16's in bathrooms.

The plan was to get mains voltage for the dining room, kitchen, bedroom as i thought i could get these dimmable or non dimmable gu10 fittings that were better in brightness than low energy MR16's.

I haven't bought them yet and now im debating on which fitting(Gu10 or MR16) to have installed. The reason being is the whole energy bulbs etc.
Which have better light output. I will only use these in the areas that are more for accent lighting.

Does anyone else have experience of using other branded low energy GU10's....LED or Fluorescent.
I could maybe use a mixture of normal bulbs in the centre light fitting and

Help Help Help

... low voltage ... mains voltage ...
Mains voltage is low voltage: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage_bands

I haven't bought them yet and now im debating on which fitting(Gu10 or MR16) to have installed.
Almost all GU10 base lamps have MR16 envelopes. You can get GU10s with MR11 envelopes, but they're uncommon.

I will only use these in the areas that are more for accent lighting.
It had better be entirely for accent lighting - they are unmitigated sh**e at actually lighting up rooms.

Just to add my twopenneth....Megaman 'dimmable' GU10s are not very good...

The claim that they are 'fully dimmable' is highly dubious and megaman themselves ask you to leave them for at least a minute to warm up before you attempt any crazy dimming manouvre! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back