Messed up network. can I start again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a tower running XP, hard wired to my printer HP Photosmart C5280 and a speedtouch router. I have a laptop that is operating fine wirelessly from my router. I tried to set up a home network but screwed up big time. Is there any way I can undo my mess up and start again?

Regards

Jim

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can always change your network settings. How to proceed will depend on how you screwed it up.

Thanks, I was hoping that there might be a simple button to press that would wipe out my network so I can start again with a clean slate. I do not have my printer loaded on my laptop, do I have to load it on to get the host printer to receive instructions from my lap top wireless?
Regards
Jim

Sponsored Links
To reset to factory default - theres usually a little hole (2mm ish) same as you'll find on your d drive. Gently push in a straightened paper clip ontil the router resets.

To reset to factory default - theres usually a little hole (2mm ish) same as you'll find on your d drive.
FYI, this should be "CD" drive, not "d".

Gently push in a straightened paper clip ontil the router resets.
Why would you give out this advice without reminding the user to first ensure that they have a written record of the settings that will be lost?

Hi Jim,
Nearly for got something very important.
Make a note of all your incorrect settings on a piece of paper, I don't think the type of paper or writing implement is important. When you've done this screw up the piece of paper and throw it in the bin.

And then reset your router using the straightened paperclip.

Is there any way I can undo my mess up and start again?
As Igorian has already said, the mess could be undone, but you haven't given very much information about your problem.

You could reset the router, but if you do that then make sure you note down your ADSL username and password first.

Resetting the router will establish a known starting point, but is unlikely to cure your problem because most changes for a home network are carried on the PCs. You might have configured static IP addresses on your PCs, for example, or Internet Connection Sharing. Another common pitfall is the use of a software firewall - the popular ones (e.g. Norton, AVG, Zonealarm) are particularly good at turning a local network into a local notwork, so if you're using one then you'll need to either disable it or configure it to allow local network traffic.

Rather than doing anything hasty, or following stupid advice to take an irrelevant action, you'd be better off posting details of what you were attempting, and what you did, and which operating systems your computers are running.

Sponsored Links
Back