Meter isolator

meter-1.jpg

That one?

Sponsored Links
FYI if you didn't know, those inbuilt isolators are only single pole.

Rob, you're amazing...

I bet if I needed a picture of my Granny's ar5e, you'd come up with one!! ;)

(BTW, she's long since cremated!!)

Yes that's similar to the one Norweb used to install, but the switch was slightly different. The guys fitting them said they were DP, but maybe they were wrong.

In which case, they don't really cut the mustard.

However, you could use that switch to isolate power while you fit a DP switch...

Sponsored Links
Looking forward to seeing the photo...
(Still)
Ah, yes. Well, better late than never they do say.

View media item 9592
So I called around.

British Gas (buy electricity from) said nothing to do with them. They said I need to call Eon (DNO) to come round to disconnect supply, get an electrician to fit the new switch at same time, Eon will then reconnect.

Called Eon. They said nothing to do with them. They only deal with underground cables. I need to call British Gas, and they said that British Gas don't really have a clue.

Decided to call United Utilities. They said they would be happy to fit new isolator, but only if British Gas told them to. I, as customer, could not make that request. They would then do it for free, except British Gas might want me to pay something to them. Not sure what for.

So.

Seeing as the main fuse seal has already been snipped (probably by the electrician who made a balls up of the extension wiring), and none of the 'authorities' want to have anything to do with it, one is tempted to change it myself.

Looking at the date of the original post - have you left your isolator looking like that since August?!?!?!?!?

Get an electrician out, you'll probably find they're happy to pull the service fuse (especially if the seal is already broken), and sort it for you. Should only take a few minutes, but given the risk of that getting worse and suddenly bursting into flames - DO IT NOW!

yeah and when its been replaced, leave the old isolator in the meter cupboard so the next meter reader\changer can see why the seal fairies have visited ;)

Thankyou for advice.

I arranged for an electrician to come and replace it last month, took a day off work, he never turned up. Fortunately I was able to do things around the house and garden.

Just looked at the law and it doesn't appear to be notifiable work!

apologies for hijacking the post but do you guys know whic is the more accomodating supplier that will install isolators if requested?

I'm looking at changing supplier (currently npower)

They're all about as bad as each other, just weigh up costomer service ratings versu price on that meerkat site, or whoever.

As far as isolators is concerned, either don't bother and pull the fuse when work on the CU is required or get an electrician to pull the fuse and then fit an isolator which will probably come up for replacement around the time the new CU does.

Seeing as nobody knows who owns / is responsable for anything anymore nobody gives a flying rats a$$ anymore about the seals on the connections of either service fuses or meters. The main seals on meters, however, they are quite hot on.

if an electrician installs an isolator does he need to submit the paperwork to labc and or leave a certificate?

Those isolators are a bugger if you don't flatten the core - then they arc.
Should be the M.A.M who replace the iso, esp if it was done by them.

Just looked at the picture now.

Again, the burning/overheating seems to have gone for the Neutral!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back