meter missing from backboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into my new flat and it has one of the extortion in a box meters(prepay) fitted to it due to it being an ex rental property however I'm not sure if there is a meter missing that should be fitted before it? I'm pretty sure that the last flat I had with this in it there was a meter fitted before it that spun or registered what was being used so that it would tally up with the pre-paid meter to stop people by-passing it?

Sorry if above is a bit vague I'll post a picture later

Sponsored Links
The prepayment meter my parents used to have years ago was a combined thing that you put paper cards in, but it also did the actual metering...

Cant see the point of having two, if you were going to get into the dodgy business of bypassing the card meter, then it makes no real difference if theres a second meter, as you'd just bypass them both...

You do realise you just need to call your electricity supplier and they'll come out and change the meter for a normal one? Theres no need to keep the prepayment thing.

I know however the flat was rented out for a while hence why the meter is in. Scottish power want £48 to swap the box out and £150 "security" deposit held for a 12 month period to ensure I pay the bill same with the gas :evil: held to ransom either way they will rip you off.

I'm not sure why as my credit rating is fine and they shouldnt be picking on you just because they might have had issues with payments for the pervious tennent

You more than likely will have a meter which owned and installed by your supplier (eon, edf, scottish power etc).

This meter is used to issue bills for the property and will be sealed and must not be touched.

The coin or card meter is more than likely a privately owned one which any electrician can install. This is owned and maintained by your landlord.

On re-reading, perhaps I have my wires crossed and you are actually talking about a pre-payment meter with token that you 'charge up' in your local shop? If so, there is only one meter provided, and this is owned, installed and operated by your supplier.

A photo would help.

Sponsored Links
10118_160427848684_697188684_2678289_6207420_n.jpg
[/img]

I know however the flat was rented out for a while hence why the meter is in. Scottish power want £48 to swap the box out and £150 "security" deposit held for a 12 month period to ensure I pay the bill same with the gas :evil: held to ransom either way they will rip you off.
Probablly still better than paying the extra they charge for using a prepay meter.

Yup not a problem just as you can use Scottish Power as your supplier down south funnily enough it was a Scottish bloke who took my order ;)

You should call out a qualified electrician as your installation needs updating.

As for the MI supply cable, thats the first time i have ever seen that.

See it all the time down here. Probs a 4mm. Usually in blocks of flats, with a switchfuse in intake room.

Isnt that going to seriously limit the available current in the property?

I know MICC can often handle more than other cable types for a given CSA, but it looks like its on a 60A fuse?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back