Microsoft to turn it's back on the UK?

I wish I'd invented Windows ... :(

Or Facebook ... :(

Or any company that would have made me a billionaire!

p.s. I know these folk didn't 'invent' these things completely by themselves, so don't feel the need to correct me ;)

I invented something, many years ago.

Unfortunately, only in my head, thinking "that'd be a good idea!", and did nothing with it.

C'est la vie........

Sponsored Links
I've read that Microsoft will be obligated to pay Activision $2bn due to the deal failing..............how crazy is that? No wonder MS are a bit miffed!!

Windows was pretty much Xerox’s idea.
Facebook was a knock off of a uni white pages app. Oracle nicked the database from IBM, Google search was yahoos idea
Amazon web services was around in many forms before. Salesforce was an ex competitor spin off, as was workday.

Musk didn’t even start Tesla.

If you look at the dominant players. None of them were first to market. The skill is always moving quickly and capitalising on ideas that are out there.

@Doug99. This is standard.

When you explore acquiring a company it requires significant sensitive and commercial competitive information to be shared. This knowledge can do great harm if the deal fails. Hence there are fees.

This is ultimately why musk bought twitter

Sponsored Links
Tesco only have a 27% market share. MSFT, dominate almost every industry they play in.
Overall yes, supermarkets are very competitive and profit margins are (were?) slim. Possibly not since inflation gave the excuse for some whopping price rises. 27% would be considered a monopoly anyway, for the sake of regulation, so trying to grab control of the independents shouldn't have been allowed.

But looking at the corner shop market Tesco have become dominant, especially in many local areas. If there are only Tesco local shops in addition to any number of independent shops then almost all of the stock sold by all of them was supplied by Tesco. Only the other big corner shop chains are genuinely competitors, e.g. Coop, Morrisons etc. Basically the biggest player was allowed to buy up control of all the independents, not good for competition. Booker was already big enough to get some good deals from suppliers, it's unlikely that this takeover was in the public interest.

I thought I'd invented many things, only to google the idea and find out they already existed.
Same here. Even worse, one idea I had seemed to be missing from the internet so didn't exist as a product. I had to spend an entire day trawling through patent libraries to find that my amazing idea was already patented, tucked away as part of a related patent. Sadly a company had patented it but had failed to exploit it commercially, for no good reason other than the fact that they were taken over months after gaining it, my bet is it got forgotten about and the staff involved were laid off. It expired this year, I fully expect others to start making them now.

Same here. Even worse, one idea I had seemed to be missing from the internet so didn't exist as a product. I had to spend an entire day trawling through patent libraries to find that my amazing idea was already patented, tucked away as part of a related patent. Sadly a company had patented it but had failed to exploit it commercially, for no good reason other than the fact that they were taken over months after gaining it, my bet is it got forgotten about and the staff involved were laid off. It expired this year, I fully expect others to start making them now.
What is it?

Funnily enough another Tech firm is proving the same point...

"British microchip designing giant Arm has filed to sell its shares in the US, setting the stage for what could be the biggest stock market listing this year.
The Cambridge-based firm is reportedly aiming to raise up to $10bn (£8bn).
In a blow to the UK, the company said in March that it did not plan to list its shares in London."

"Arm's decision raised concerns that the UK market is not doing enough to attract tech company stock offerings, with US exchanges seen to offer higher profiles and valuations."

And it hasn't crashed it's own currency enabling those higher valuations...

Bit by bit the City is losing it's attraction and clout!

The NASDAQ has always been the home of technology stocks. It would be strange for such a significant manufacturer to do anything else.

It’s common for even EU tech giants to dual list. SAP for example.

Interesting that the USA is also blocking the same deal.

Sponsored Links
Back