Microsoft to turn it's back on the UK?

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear of a regulator going against Bill Gates, I thought he owned all the western governments these days.

But as stated by others, absolutely sod all to do with Brexit, just more remoaner drivel, trying to find a tenuous connection to anything. We had the CMA while in the EU, still do, nothing has changed.

Sponsored Links
I realise he's supposedly retired, but he's still a massive owner of shares in MS so definitely has a huge vested interest, about $30 BILLION's worth of shares(!!!!)...

...and is these days closely involved with politicians, medicines, the WEF and all kinds of string-pulling. That is why I'm surprised that the powers that be haven't rolled over, this somewhat restores my faith in those in charge. No doubt someone at the CMA will be getting a call from Westminster about all this embarassment.

Sponsored Links
Is it only me or does anyone else notice that the OP rarely gets any support or agreement with any of the 'good news' (in their tiny spiteful mind) threads that they start?

Is it only me or does anyone else notice that the OP rarely gets any support or agreement with any of the 'good news' (in their tiny spiteful mind) threads that they start?
It doesn't matter to him, he's playing tennis with billionaires or on a private cruise atm, so whatever happens in uk it's not his concern.

From the article:
'However, a number of recent takeovers of British firms by overseas ones has increased concerns that the UK market is declining in importance, and is failing to attract fast-growing tech firms.'

[but]...In its ruling on Wednesday the regulator said it was concerned the deal would hit innovation and give gamers less choice in the fast-growing cloud gaming market, where people buy subscriptions to access games online.

Sony's position is that if the deal went ahead, Microsoft would have an incentive to restrict access to Activision's titles to PlayStation, which would be bad for gamers.

The CMA said Microsoft already had a 60-70% share of the cloud gaming market, and combining with Activision would "really reinforce... [its] strong position".

Gareth Sutcliffe, senior games analyst at Enders Analysis, said Microsoft had misjudged its approach.

"The signs were clear for months that this deal was in trouble with UK regulators and yet Microsoft executives didn't prioritise it or heed the evidence that it was," he told the BBC.

Mr Sutcliffe added that Mr Smith's comments about the UK were "somewhat redundant".

"They [Microsoft] had ample opportunity to do things differently over the past 16 months - they've not provided a convincing enough case."

So, to sum up: Microsoft whine they can't take a bigger piece of the cake and eat up huge profits at the expense of anyone else with a stake in the gaming business.

Tough noogies.

Microsoft are famous for leveraging their monopolies to kill competition. They have multiple investigations in their direction and I guess the chief lawyer is feeling the pressure.

I find it hard to respect the CMA after they waved through Tesco's takeover of Booker a few years ago.

Tesco now almost entirely controls the convenience shop market, either through its own Tesco shops or via Booker, which supplies almost all other competitors. They're even now re-branding Booker's Happy Shopper products as Tesco, so those buying at their local shop might start thinking they may as well just buy directly from Tesco instead.

Booker merged with Makro lots of years ago, so grocery wholesale was already a monopoly. Tesco have now made this a retail/wholesale monopoly, and of course prices were already rising before world events pushed them higher still.

They're bothered about a bunch of big kids playing pointless pretend games on a computer, but don't care about the food we need to survive. I'm guessing that Microsoft don't play golf with the CMA as Tesco do.

Tesco only have a 27% market share. MSFT, dominate almost every industry they play in.

I wish I'd invented Windows ... :(

Or Facebook ... :(

Or any company that would have made me a billionaire!

p.s. I know these folk didn't 'invent' these things completely by themselves, so don't feel the need to correct me ;)

Sponsored Links
Back