Miele W828 washing machine - seems to have no power at all?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old W828, has served me well - I did have the flashing "check inlet" light problem, so ordered a known good used board from Ebay - the fault then resolved itself before the new board arrived, so I have a spare control board!
Problem - did a wash as normal, everything fine. Next time I went to use the machine it showed NO sign of life whatsoever - wouldn't even open the door. Checked mains fuse, no problem there.
So far my diagnostics have only got as far as lifting off the lid and prodding various bits with an electrician's "neon" screwdriver - no sign of 240v anywhere.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
I'm wondering if there is an internal fuse that could have blown, or perhaps the mains cable has gone bad (seems unlikely, and I know the socket to be good)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

G.

Sponsored Links
Try the door lock. When the door is open the machine goes completely dead.
Use the manual release and slam the door a few times. I have read that some people find dry/cracked solder joints on the button which houses the power and door release button too.

Richard - you are an absolute genius! I used the manual release under the filter flap, and opened and closed the door (slammed it right and hard!) 5 times.
Turned the power back on and the machine now works perfectly, as it did before!

Have you a favoured charity at all? I'd like to make a donation, as I would never have guessed the solution, and you have saved me a fortune by not needing a call-out!

Many thanks again,

G.

Another machine saved from the dump.
Lets hope others will read this and can get their machine running too.

All the best and Wash On!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip Gondorama. Our trusty 828 stopped yesterday, just as I was up to my elbows replacing the central piping throughout the house. A real "oh bugger" moment. Tried your tip this morning, worked like a dream.

So grateful to you Richard.
My Miele W827 had the “rinses” flashing problem a week ago. Yesterday a friend and I changed the fuse and relay on the PCB. I managed a couple of washes, but when I went to unload the machine after a 3rd one there was no power at all. Assumed that the problem was more than the fuse and relay and quite possibly terminal ☹️. Did a quick search (as much as anything to find out how to open the door and retrieve my washing..). Bingo! Discovered what the “dangly plastic thing” does, opened the door, slammed it and the power returned.
My faithful servant of 20+ years lives to wash another day!
Thank you so much!

Another machine saved from the dump.
Lets hope others will read this and can get their machine running too.

All the best and Wash On!
RichardMNZ legend! Another machine saved from the scrap heap. Our faithfull Miele W828 has given over 20 years of trouble free washes... I thought the loss of power was terminal. After spending half a day pulling it apart trouble shooting other faults I was about to call it and thought I'd do one more search. Thankfully found your post...who would have thought half dozen proper slams and old mate w828 is back with us. Like CPR for our washing machine. Cant believe it. THANK YOU!!!

Try the door lock. When the door is open the machine goes completely dead.
Use the manual release and slam the door a few times. I have read that some people find dry/cracked solder joints on the button which houses the power and door release button too.
I registered purely so I could say thank you to RichardMNZ for this advice. Worked for us, genius! :cool:

If you hover over Richard NZ's avatar then nothing happens which suggests he is no longer a member so thanking him will go un-noticed unfortunately.

If you hover over Richard NZ's avatar then nothing happens which suggests he is no longer a member so thanking him will go un-noticed unfortunately.
I know, but a) If there is a tiny chance he'll sit it, I'll go with it, and b) I was also letting other people who might find this page that it works. :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back