Miele WT2670 water heater element not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Miele WT2670 washer-dryer. It has not been heating the water for a few weeks. I removed the front and found that the resistance across the water heater element terminals is very high (a few MOhm), so it looks like I need to replace the element.

One strange observation is that when the machine is turned on at the mains, there is a 240 V AC voltage across the heater element terminals even when the programme selector is set to the "stop" position (i.e. no programme selected). I don't have a service manual for this model, but I found one for the Miele W1113, W1119, W1203, W1213, W1215 machines that says the following, so presumably this is the case for my WT2670 too:

"Danger: The appliance must be unplugged from the wall outlet or the circuit
breaker must be shut off before during replacement of any Heater
circuit component(s). 240VAC is still present within this circuit, even
with the appliance switched to the Off position."

Any idea why it would be designed in this way?

Also, does anyone know how to get this machine into service mode? It has an LED for a PC connection, so perhaps the only way to read error codes is via a PC. However, I can't see anywhere obvious where a PC would plug in.

thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Its not supposed to have power across the heater at all times.
Is the heater relay faulty? Is it stuck ON?

The proper service people have a laptop and an optical link to read codes etc.

To get this into service mode:
Door shut
Selector at STOP
Power off
Hold down the start button
While start is down, turn it on.
Release the start button and press and release 3x but hold it down on the third.

After a few seconds the led will flash and bingo

Many thanks for the instructions for getting into service mode, that did the job. Regarding the heater element, it turns out that there are two relays involved in the heater circuit, one on each side. I think one is activated when the washing machine on/off button is set to on, and the other when the PCB wants the water to be heated. I've now changed the heater element and the machine is now working fine. In case anyone ever needs to do the same job, I found this youtube video helpful:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back