milk (infant) coupons

keyplayer said:
hermes said:
keyplayer said:
you appear to have no moral qualms about ripping off Microsoft. What's the difference? ?

I don't think that ripping off microsoft is the same as using milk tokens for other products. The milk tokens are intended to provide milk for deprived children. Microsoft is intended to make vast profits for it's shareholders I would think.

It's breaking the law.
#

So was the lady who stood at the foot of the cenotaph and started reading the names of dead soldiers and i don't have any moral qualms about that either.

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
So was the lady who stood at the foot of the cenotaph and started reading the names of dead soldiers and i don't have any moral qualms about that either.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: I'm lost! What's illegal about that?

It was recently made illegal to demonstrate within a certain distance of Parliament without prior permission. This law was drafted in response to a guy who set up camp opposite the building and he used to harangue MP's and others on the illegal war in Iraq.
I think that the two mothers were standing reading out the names of killed soldiers and they were arrested under this new law.

Found a reference here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4507446.stm

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
OK, so its easter saturday, im on the checkout covering someone's dinner, and a woman comes up with a basket full of easter eggs, chocolate bars, creme eggs. total comes to just over £10.

She pulls out a wad of milk coupons and says "right how many of these do you need"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm like "well, you can get 4 litres of milk for each coupon", and she continues "no, you redeem these for £2.50 dont you?"

"yes, for 2 whole or semi skimmed milks at £1.25 each"

"well they have done it for me before here just last week"

"who did it? they will be in trouble when i find out"

"im not telling you if they will get into trouble"

"fine. i'll pull of a till audit for the last week which shows every transaction by every operator and what payment was recieved, now thats £££ please"

"i dont believe this" <while pulling out her money>

(to husband) "we'll have to come back in when those 2 are working again"

Now, the theory is, we COULD redeem those coupons for general groceries, only us in store would ever know, but its the principle. My taxes paid for those coupons, yes? To be honest, i'm insulted that people do this. if she doesn't need the coupons for milk, then why have them at all? I dont pay taxes for people like this to have free chocolate. I wish i didn't have to pay them for people to have free milk, but thats life. The bare faced cheek. And i WILL find out who took the coupons for groceries, and they WILL get a disciplinary. What a stupid thing to try with the deputy manager though!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

scrounging low-life scum :evil: (even though she did look quite respectable :eek: ) and she didn't look like the sort that needs milk coupons. What is the eligibility for milk coupons? I mean, how do you get them? I dont fully understand the system!

I really hope you wrote this because you had a really bad day at work :)
,and not because you are a self rightass person who seems to suffer from double standards.
Jez I bet you are a barrel of laughs to work for

Im going to sound really mean here but I think milk tokens should buy milk.. full stop.

I do not think that children should do without other luxuries either but that is a seperate issue.

If it didnt matter what the money was spent on, then add it to family allowance to be spent on fags, booze, chocolate... whatever...

I dont get any of these handouts... but Im not well off!!

as a child we got benefits as my mother was a widow.(so Im not talking through my ass never having been there)
If they dont need free milk fine.

The tokens are for milk not chocolate.

It used to be commonplace to exchange Milk Tokens in supermarkets, Tesco's, sainsburys, Gateway and a lot more besides. These retailers all accepted tokens for Milk, food products and toiletries only and was a common pratice.

The reason was, the token had a face value (the price of doorstep milk) which was higher than the Supermarket, so people bought milk in supermarkets which was cheaper and used the tokens to buy other items they couldn't otherwise afford. This pratice was known to the DSS, and although not sanctioned by them, nothing was done about it. How do I know this? My Ex worked for them in the benefits section. The reason nothing was done was that the tokens were issued legitimately and had a face value which was fixed, therefore (unofficially) no crime was committed because the person was entitled to the token, plus it would have cost far more to take them to court, and they will still get the tokens as they are issued for the children and not the adult.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they are being used for food products, MILK and non luxury items, I don't see a problem.

FFS. :rolleyes:

They are called MILK tokens. M-I-L-K, MILK tokens. They are called that for a reason.

Can you spend book tokens on cat food?
Can you spend an Argos voucher in Currys?
Can I use my train season ticket on Easyjet?

And these are all examples of things which have been purchased, with real money, for a purpose. Milk tokens are a benefit (i.e. a freebie) from the government (i.e. - our taxes), for a very specific purpose. End of. It's not bl**dy difficult.

ninebob said:
FFS. :rolleyes:

They are called MILK tokens. M-I-L-K, MILK tokens. They are called that for a reason.

And these are all examples of things which have been purchased, with real money, for a purpose. Milk tokens are a benefit (i.e. a freebie) from the government (i.e. - our taxes), for a very specific purpose. End of. It's not bl**dy difficult.

And my point is, that whatever they are used for, the taxpayer is still charged the same whatever is purchased.

I respect other peoples opinion on this, you should do the same. This is (I thought) a place to discuss things, Not a political voice box. I voiced mine, if you don't like it too bad. I pay my taxes, as do most, and I don't have a problem with it.

hermes said:
It was recently made illegal to demonstrate within a certain distance of Parliament without prior permission. This law was drafted in response to a guy who set up camp opposite the building and he used to harangue MP's and others on the illegal war in Iraq.
I think that the two mothers were standing reading out the names of killed soldiers and they were arrested under this new law.

Found a reference here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4507446.stm

Thanks Hermes, good on that pair for doing it and shame on the Police for arresting them. I wonder if the new law has been introduced to save Tony Blair the embarrassment of admitting that he was wrong to be sending our troops over there in the first place.

ninebob said:
Probably not . . . but you CAN use Sainsburys vouchers in Tesco ;)

But Tesco is just a greedy giant who is gonna get too big for their boots very soon when the office of fair trading gets involved and sees convenience and supermarkets as one and realises Tesco's market share is too big . . .

All shops make money on milk coupons anyway. We get money for them based on the milkman's price of a pint, which is 50p. This is what the govt gives us for each coupon. £3.50. Obviously our milk is cheaper, and even if the customer chooses 8 x 500ml milks (why would they? :eek: ), this is still only £3.28.

Thats not our fault, its the base price they pay us for each coupon. call it a handling allowance ;)

But the whole point of this thread is that MILK COUPONS are for MILK. And if this woman doesn't need them, there are MORE DISCREET and VERSATILE ways of RIPPING OFF THE STATE! And yes, i would have got a disciplinary for accepting them, not good for deputy manager with manager prospects.

And splinter, The staff at my shop dont have a problem with me. We all have a laugh and its a good working atmosphere. Believe it or not, i have a sense of humour, and we do joke around at work. I just dont like people who rip off the state and claim every benefit in the book when they aren't entitled to half of them, then the rest of us who actually pay taxes are left to pay for their scrounging lazy lifestyles.

No... fully agree with nine bob here.

Milk tokens.... M I L K for free.....

if you dont need the milk then dont use the tokens.

Spend them on M I L K !!!

If you have enough milk then why should should you get free chocolate ?

toffee said:
Im going to sound really mean here but I think milk tokens should buy milk.. full stop.

Sorry to sound very samey, but I agree, toff. They were not designed for any other purpose than to improve the diet of poorer families' children.

crafty1289 said:
Thats not our fault, its the base price they pay us for each coupon. call it a handling allowance

Actually I'd call that a scam.

Sponsored Links
Back