Mince boilers

Don't eat mince. I've told you what it's made of.

Sponsored Links
If only I could record this snippet from Galaxy and post it here! Its radio gold.

John, as long as it tastes nice and isn't going to rot my gut or give me food poisoning, im not bothered.

RF Lighting said:
mmmmm I love boiled mince.

Chuck an oxo cube in with the water, and once cooked add a bit of gravy granules to thicken the liquid.

This sounds revolting. If you browned off your meat before simmering it you wouldn't have to add so much monosodium glutamate. In fact you wouldn't have to add any.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you prefer these?

4Z5_Ainsley.JPG

JohnD said:
They look revolting, frankly. I only like plain sausages. Anything else has chewy bits of fat in it etc <shudders> and I cant swallow when i feel something like that in my mouth.

Keyplayer, how do YOU cook mince? oven-cook? microwave? grill? flambee? :LOL:

Crafty said:
Keyplayer, how do YOU cook mince? oven-cook? microwave? grill? flambee? :LOL:

I would brown it all over until all the water had evaporated off, so caramelising the natural sugars of the meat, then simmer in water, salt added of course for as long as the type and quality of meat demanded. Very nice too, regardless of what John D says.

thought mince was....hmmm

i dont guess i ever knew what it was....only reference i've heard of was mince pie :oops:

Crafty said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: left myself wide open for that one! :LOL:
I cant swallow when i feel something like that in my mouth.

puts a new spin on "tongue in cheek"
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

libby lou lou said:
very slowly cooked toast.

What's that all about? what would that achieve ? do you have to butter it slowly ? :LOL:

She used to grill it under what she called a "slow" heat - till it was crispy all the way through, not doughy in the middle.

Remember the old gradings for oven temperatures?

Moderate, Hot, Very hot etc...

mlb3c said:
thought mince was....hmmm

i dont guess i ever knew what it was....only reference i've heard of was mince pie :oops:

Funnily enough "mincemeat" can be a sticky sweet thing, made with dried fruit, as put in mince pies that you eat at Christmas; but "Minced meat" is, as the name, minced up bits of dead animals that are too revolting to be sold in a way that would allow you to identify them (same as Hamburgers and Hot Dogs). What you call "Ground Beef" though over here "Minced" is coarser than "Ground".

Some people eat mince and some (like me) don't.

The reason we use the same name for the sweet thing, is that in years gone by, the christmas pies would be made with dried fruit, plus animal fat, and so minced (=finely chopped) fatty parts of meat would be put in.
This 1955 recipe includes an animal product, can you spot it? http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/mincemeat_1955.html

Sponsored Links
Back