Miniature 3-pin 230V inline connector suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a note last year to remind me to act on it in time this year...

My tree lights would be much easier to install if they were in 2 halves (it's a 160-light set, series/parallel), so I'm looking for a small 3-pin M/F inline connector pair rated at 230V.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Here is a starter: a pair of euro connectors (6A "kettle" connectors to you), only £2.29 each from Maplin.

What size cables?

I made a note last year to remind me to act on it in time this year...My tree lights would be much easier to install if they were in 2 halves (it's a 160-light set, series/parallel), so I'm looking for a small 3-pin M/F inline connector pair rated at 230V. Any suggestions?
A question I've often grappled with.

Do you realise that, surprising though it may seem, many XLR inline plugs/sockets are rated at 16A 250V AC?

I take it that this would be far too big for you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Here is a starter: a pair of euro connectors (6A "kettle" connectors to you), only £2.29 each from Maplin.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I fear you have an insufficiently firm grasp on the meaning of the word "miniature" ;)

What size cables?
Those typically found running from light to light in a set with hundreds of them.

True, I should perhaps have said that they are indoor lights.

Still in the loft - from memory the O/D of each wire is 1-2mm.

Do you realise that, surprising though it may seem, many XLR inline plugs/sockets are rated at 16A 250V AC?
I've never seen any without metal bodies - they'd be too heavy.

I expect it would.

But fortunately Maplin don't provide sizes, so I googled the product, and the maker does other products, and the IP20 TH380 is not much bigger than a wine cork, so could be ideal.

Thanks!

I've never seen any without metal bodies - they'd be too heavy.
Fair enough - although, even with metal bodies, I would have regarded them as pretty light.
I expect it would. But fortunately Maplin don't provide sizes...
They do actually give dimensions (if you click the 'Specification' tab) - but it sounds as if it's probably a good thing that you didn't notice that :)
... so I googled the product, and the maker does other products, and the IP20 TH380 is not much bigger than a wine cork, so could be ideal. Thanks!
You're welcome, even if it is only by accident that I brought that to your attention! It sounds as if it might suit your purpose.

Kind Regards, John

click the 'Specification' tab
screenhunter28nov070010.jpg

I still have that page open from when I snapped it last night.

It still looks the same.

I have just refreshed it.

It has finished loading.

It still looks the same.

I still have that page open from when I snapped it last night. It still looks the same. I have just refreshed it. It has finished loading. It still looks the same.
Well, I obviously did not invent the screenshot I posted! That's what I saw last night, and what I've just posted is what I saw when I re-accessed the page just before I posted the screenshot this morning. However, it took at least 30 seconds (probably a lot more) for the bottom half of the page to appear - during which interval I was looking at exactly the same as you posted.

Kind Regards, John

The sets I have used have all had a two wire section mid way along the set. Divide the set there and unless there is a CPC as well you could use a smaller 2 pin connector

Interesting.
All the XLRs by the usual manufacturers I've seen (Neutrik, Switchcraft, Deltron, Amphenol) are rated at 50V ac, although the rated current does vary from brand to brand.
The old Canon, and later Neutrik, XLR LNE connectors are rated at 250V, and the remaining stock seems to be still sold by Canford Audio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back