Minimum Concentration in a drink

Eddie M said:
You also need to take into account the enthaply of fusion in this statement.

No, because that is 0 degrees celsius to 1 significant figure. :p

My water started at 0.49 degrees celsius, which is above the triple point, and thus solid water can be taken to be insignificant.

Sponsored Links
Baaaaaaaaah! :LOL:

Ever wondered why man bothered with science? Life is so much simpler when you don't have to worry about the enthalpy of fusion of water, and the ambient pressure required for water to reach it's triple point.

Which is 612 Pa, by the way :D

However, Wikipedia (the well known internet tome of nonsense) claims

The phase transition occurs when liquid water is cooled below 0 °C (273 K, 32 °F) at standard atmospheric pressure.

Hence I stand by my assumption that the enthalpy of fusion is insignificant in heating up my 0.49 degrees C water.

Sponsored Links
The original post however cack-handed as it was, is vaugely on the right lines:-

Comparing like for like, ie Comparing compounds that are liquid at atmospheric pressure, water does indeed have a very high enthalpy of vapourisation. Aluminium is of course a metallic element.

The fact that water is liquid at room temperature (ok, lets not go into what room temperature is) is anamalous.

The fact that ice floats is odd (most substances are denser in their solid state than in their liguid state) crystal shape in the way you describe it does not answer the question.

Water highly interesting, oddly enough !!!

I have been getting out more recently, I promise.

As I understand it, the calorific value of food is measured by burning, then measuring the additional heat generated? (very crude description I know)

If water consists of hydrogen (rather nice fuel) and oxygen (necessary for combustion), how can water be good for you in large quantities! Sounds like rocket fuel to me!!!

:LOL:

Maybe, that's why I'm overweight! Too much Iced Tea! ;)

mildmanneredjanitor said:
As I understand it, the calorific value of food is measured by burning, then measuring the additional heat generated? (very crude description I know)

If water consists of hydrogen (rather nice fuel) and oxygen (necessary for combustion), how can water be good for you in large quantities! Sounds like rocket fuel to me!!!
:LOL:

Maybe, that's why I'm overweight! Too much Iced Tea! ;)
Because water is essential to life
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>