Minimum Concentration in a drink

Sponsored Links
Not that I wish to doubt Lucy Pringle, but I do believe she is talking out of her Sour cream and chive-flavoured posterior.

"If there aren't any elements in solution (having been extracted by homeopathic dilution) some water molecules may be looking for the electrons and would tend to pair up with any other water molecules that pre-existed in the solution, since they would be replacing such heavier molecules one by one as were separated in dilution.

Yes, THAT would explain it :eek: That explains it all. The water molecules MUST have a memory. Damnit, for all these years we haven't realised this. Does this explain why when I take a pee, the water molecules I just passed then wish to pair up with molecules that pre-existed in my wee-wee solution, i.e. shoot back up inside me?

Wakelam also suggests that in Rey's article in the New Scientist, "his thermoluminescence test seemed to pick out loose bonding energy of water molecules at 170 deg. K. Because electrons were stripped off the sodium chloride and lithium chloride during the homeopathic dilution, these electrons could provide the ghost linkage to the other water molecules and therefore the peak at 170 deg.K was lower. As previously suggested this could be tested if the separated solute was positively charged.

Yes, OK. First point, there is no such thing as "deg. K". You can have degrees celsius, degrees fahrenheit, or Kelvin. But not degrees Kelvin. Just Kelvin. That would be like someone measuring current in "Coulomb Amps" or some other made-up unit. Now I have that pedantry out of the way, can I just point out that when you put sodium chloride (i.e. table salt) or lithium chloride (which I think is used as an anti-depressant) in solution, then yes, you do end up with a solution ions. No, you do not end up with a net positive charge.

could be tested if the separated solute was positively charged

Yes, and my theory about chocolate-flavoured monkeys could be tested if a bunch of them flew out of my ass! But on the day that happens, Mr Liu C. Fur will be ice-skating to work.

Despite great strides in medicine, physics, chemistry and biology, water and its behaviour still remains a mystery.

You should try talking to some scientists, the behaviour of water isn't a mystery to them. Why does water expand when frozen? Because it happens to form hexagonal crystals when it freezes. Whereas in liquid water the molecules can flow freely over one another (there is no long-range order), in ice the molecules are held rigidly at a set distance (depending on temperature). It just so happens that ice has a greater amount of space between the molecules as liquid water. Durrr.

The boiling point, melting point and heat conducting abilities are far higher than other substances an it takes more energy to boil a pint of water than any other liquid.

Boiling point water = 100 deg C
Boiling point aluminium = 2467 dec C

Melting point water = 0 deg C
Melting point aluminium = 660 deg C

Relative thermal conductivity water = 1
Relative thermal conductivity aluminium = 400

I'm not even starting on the "it takes more energy to boil a pint of water than any other liquid" comment, because it makes no sense. Many chemicals are a liquid at some temperature or other, and she makes no mention of what temperature she starts the boiling process at. If it is boiling water from 0 deg C, or boiling a metal from 0 deg C, guess which takes more energy... Hint: the element in your kettle doesn't even go so far as to turn into a liquid! :LOL:

Now, I don't want to cast doubts on the scientific reputation of Lucy Pringle, after all she is a keen crop-circle enthusiast and a member of the British Society of Dowsers.

I'm not taken one way or the other with the story, just posted it cos I knew it might rattle a few of your cages!

You teaser!

I mean, the sparky equivalent of what the woman was writing would be:

It should be possible to prove that if you put white insulation on T&E, then it should be able to carry 10 times as much current as grey insulated T&E of the exact same dimensions.

What's more, orange electricity can be used to power a kettle and boil the water 4 times as quickly as green electricity.

Sponsored Links
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:21 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that I wish to doubt Lucy Pringle, but I do believe she is talking out of her Sour cream and chive-flavoured posterior.

Quote:
"If there aren't any elements in solution (having been extracted by homeopathic dilution) some water molecules may be looking for the electrons and would tend to pair up with any other water molecules that pre-existed in the solution, since they would be replacing such heavier molecules one by one as were separated in dilution.

Yes, THAT would explain it That explains it all. The water molecules MUST have a memory. Damnit, for all these years we haven't realised this. Does this explain why when I take a pee, the water molecules I just passed then wish to pair up with molecules that pre-existed in my wee-wee solution, i.e. shoot back up inside me?

Quote:
Wakelam also suggests that in Rey's article in the New Scientist, "his thermoluminescence test seemed to pick out loose bonding energy of water molecules at 170 deg. K. Because electrons were stripped off the sodium chloride and lithium chloride during the homeopathic dilution, these electrons could provide the ghost linkage to the other water molecules and therefore the peak at 170 deg.K was lower. As previously suggested this could be tested if the separated solute was positively charged.

Yes, OK. First point, there is no such thing as "deg. K". You can have degrees celsius, degrees fahrenheit, or Kelvin. But not degrees Kelvin. Just Kelvin. That would be like someone measuring current in "Coulomb Amps" or some other made-up unit. Now I have that pedantry out of the way, can I just point out that when you put sodium chloride (i.e. table salt) or lithium chloride (Lithium Citrate / Lithium Carbonate) (which I think is used as an anti-depressant Usually used to combat schizophrenia) in solution, then yes, you do end up with a solution ions. No, you do not end up with a net positive charge. Correct, still neutral

Quote:
could be tested if the separated solute was positively charged

Yes, and my theory about chocolate-flavoured monkeys could be tested if a bunch of them flew out of my ass! But on the day that happens, Mr Liu C. Fur will be ice-skating to work.

Quote:
Despite great strides in medicine, physics, chemistry and biology, water and its behaviour still remains a mystery.

You should try talking to some scientists, the behaviour of water isn't a mystery to them. Why does water expand when frozen? Because it happens to form hexagonal crystals when it freezes. Whereas in liquid water the molecules can flow freely over one another (there is no long-range order), in ice the molecules are held rigidly at a set distance (depending on temperature). It just so happens that ice has a greater amount of space between the molecules as liquid water. Durrr. No totally simplistic explanation, how does that explain why H20 is a liquid at room temperature whereas H2S is gaseous

Quote:
The boiling point, melting point and heat conducting abilities are far higher than other substances an it takes more energy to boil a pint of water than any other liquid.

Boiling point water = 100 deg C
Boiling point aluminium = 2467 dec C

Melting point water = 0 deg C
Melting point aluminium = 660 deg C

Relative thermal conductivity water = 1
Relative thermal conductivity aluminium = 400

I'm not even starting on the "it takes more energy to boil a pint of water than any other liquid" comment, because it makes no sense. Many chemicals are a liquid at some temperature or other, and she makes no mention of what temperature she starts the boiling process at. If it is boiling water from 0 deg C, or boiling a metal from 0 deg C, guess which takes more energy... Hint: the element in your kettle doesn't even go so far as to turn into a liquid!

Wrong, thermodynamically speaking, it is the enthalpy of vapourisation that is important here, nothing to do with the relative thermal conductivity

Now, I don't want to cast doubts on the scientific reputation of Lucy Pringle, after all she is a keen crop-circle enthusiast and a member of the British Society of Dowsers. Have you ever tried dowsing, it seems to work!

Wrong, thermodynamically speaking, it is the enthalpy of vapourisation that is important here, nothing to do with the relative thermal conductivity

I was merely commenting on her statement that

I am not wrong, re-read what I wrote!

Yes, taking a material beyond it's boiling point DOES depend on the enthalpy of vapourisation, as well as it's specific heat capacity. However, the amount of energy to take water from 0 degrees to 100 degrees is a lot less than that required to get aluminium (or any other solid-at-room-temperature metal) from 0 degrees up to it's boiling point. Now yes, if this had been written by someone with a knowledge of science then I would agree that your assumption that she is talking about the enthalpy of vapourisation. However, it was not written by such a person, so it is likely she meant to bring it up from room temperature to boiling temperature, then boil it.

Never tried dowsing, seen it on telly. If it does work then the British Dowsing Society would do well to get people such as this to stop associating themselves with it!

AdamW said:

I was merely commenting on her statement that

I am not wrong, re-read what I wrote!

Yes, taking a material beyond it's boiling point DOES depend on the enthalpy of vapourisation, as well as it's specific heat capacity. However, the amount of energy to take water from 0 degrees to 100 degrees is a lot less than that required to get aluminium (or any other solid-at-room-temperature metal) from 0 degrees up to it's boiling point.

Never tried dowsing, seen it on telly. If it does work then the British Dowsing Society would do well to get people such as this to stop associating themselves with it!

No, re-read it properly,

it takes more energy to boil a pint of water than any other liquid.

Eddie M said:
No, re-read it properly,

Ditto :LOL:

My post was changed between you reading it and posting your response!

Aaaaaanyway,

Aluminium enthalpy of vaporisation: 294kJ/mol (why can't I easily to a superscript "-1" on this thing?)
Water enthalpy of vaporisation: 38.4kJ/mol

:p

What gems will her next tome on "the magic of water" contain?

Water is see-through, and nothing else is see-through at any wavelength (even glass, it's a myth that we can see through it).

Water doesn't taste of anything... WHY NOT?!?!

Water is 2/3 oxygen, but air is only 20% oxygen. We can breathe air, but we can't breathe water. Therefore, humans breathe nitrogen. Fish die in air, so they therefore breathe hydrogen.

*Note: this is a simulated article, the above words were never written by the aforementioned charlatan.

Water is 2/3 oxygen, but air is only 20% oxygen. We can breathe air, but we can't breathe water. Therefore, humans breathe nitrogen. Fish die in air, so they therefore breathe hydrogen.

I have to admit this is classic Water 2/3 oxygen, by volume / by weight ? both wrong.

However, the amount of energy to take water from 0 degrees to 100 degrees is a lot less than that required to get aluminium (or any other solid-at-room-temperature metal) from 0 degrees up to it's boiling point

You also need to take into account the enthaply of fusion in this statement.

Eddie M said:

I have to admit this is classic Water 2/3 oxygen, by volume / by weight ? both wrong.

You have to think like a scientist for this one ;)

Water is 1/3 oxygen Empirically.

Thankfully you missed the real blunder... "Water is 2/3 oxygen" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back