missing blooming socks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes!!! some of you may be grimacing.. this isnt hard hitting or topical or racy but .... its driving me demented!!!

I must spend a fortune on socks...

all the washing is done in the whole house, none in laundry baskets or in washing machine, on the lines, or in the tumble drier or waiting to be put away..

so where are all the odd socks at? arghhhhhhh

I know the kids go in the garden sometimes to feed the animals or go on the trampoline etc etc and dont wear shoes and so socks get wet or just dirty so we go through them at a rapid rate of knotts but this is unbelievable!

I expect odd one to go missing after sleep overs etc.

Now Im the ogre in the house for ranting on (yet again I might add on the same subject for the umteenth time!)

I dont eat the socks and to my knowledge neither do the dogs.. no one nips in the night to steal the things so where do they go???

its not just the 3 kids socks its hubs aswell and even mine ( though rarely !!)

Ok so this may seem trivial but it never changes. I go out and buy a whole trolley full of socks but very soon they disappear!

are your houses the same?

Sponsored Links
You're absolutely right. I constantly struggle to buy socks at the same rate that I lose them.

Where the heck do they go :?: :?: :?:

I think they slip between the seal on the washer door and end up on the outside of the drum.. or in the bottom of the machine..

that explains how occasionally one will turn up..

there is a black hole in the back of the washing machine. Socks are sucked out through the time space continuim where they are gravitationaly drawn to the planet sock. each sock is then added to the mass of the planet helping it to grow in size. It is now reckoned to be the largest planet in space, even larger than the planets, missing keys and missing pen.

Sponsored Links
thermo is not far wrong, a washing m/c does get hungry so it will eat the odd sock when it thinks you are not watching.

The reality is, if a sock does get pulled in between the inner and outer w/m tubs it means you have overloaded your m/c. a sock will actualy cause the inner drum to stop and the belt to get burnt through. the first time i saw it i gave up, was told to go back and take m/c apart so i did, found a sock rolled into a ball, i soon found the easy way of getting them out.

I also prefer my first suggestion, but alas, its not true

A sock belonging to the wife once found it's way into the drain pump of the washing machine. Don't know the exact mechanics of what happened next, but as well as preventing the machine from draining, it also wouldn't stop filling. We were out at the time. Oh what a lovely indoor pool we returned to. Now when I see odd socks lying about i just chuck them in the bin. It's the only guaranteed way to get the other one to turn up. If you don't chuck them you end up with a washing basket full of lonely socks lying about forever.

Lost a sock down the toilet the other day, lid seat open whilst flushing then accidently dropped a sock - flushed right away!!!!!!!!!!!

You could invest in one of those sock bags , put all your socks into it before placing in the machine?

buy 20 pairs, all the same, plain black or your favourite colour. You will never have an odd sock until all but one have been eaten or worn out.

This will happen shortly before your next sock-shopping trip.

reminds me of that logic puzzle with black and white socks in a drawer in a dark room ;)

return said:
yes!!! some of you may be grimacing.. this isnt hard hitting or topical or racy but .... its driving me demented!!!

I must spend a fortune on socks...

are your houses the same?

Yes, but I saw some tiny clips/pegs in Lakeland at the weekend, designed especially to keep each sock pair together when they go in the wash. I'll be getting some of those.

breezer said:
kendor said:
reminds me of that logic puzzle with black and white socks in a drawer in a dark room ;)

...But does that work if the socks are green and blue....?

A friend's labrador was good at eating socks. He used to get them back eventually, but when he did they were always full.

JohnD said:
buy 20 pairs, all the same, plain black or your favourite colour. You will never have an odd sock until all but one have been eaten or worn out.

Thats what I do John.
Once every 12-24 months I buy 2 dozen socks all the same and the old ones go in the bin.
Lifes too short to spend time lookin for odd socks:cool:

D'you know, for the first time in my life I am feeling liberated? Seriously!
For years, my Ma (a war baby) instilled in me the importance of squeezing the last ounce of life out of everything I buy, hence my manky faded holey socks which often get parted from each other.

Now, I have realised it is better to chuck them out and start again than waste my life storing looking for and desperately trying to match socks to their partner.

THANK YOU!!

Sponsored Links
Back