Mobile phone 'kill switch'...

how can they save you money ? they in themselves can not save you a penny and in fact have cost the public around 15 billion quid
No need for meter readers.
Reduction of fraud/leccy or gas theft.
No need for wasteful estimates.
All great stuff. (y)

Sponsored Links
No need for meter readers.
Reduction of fraud/leccy or gas theft.
No need for wasteful estimates.
All great stuff. (y)
Those do not directly cut prices for those with a smart meter over those without
but
meter readers still required as meters have to be inspected every so often .
Wont pass any price reduction onto customers same as the gas mains renewal programme drastically cutting leakage hasnt
meter readings can be given online in matter of seconds

Are you just making this up, or did you read it on a fake news website?

I guess it could be true, if first you install the Siren-Like Alert App. But why would you do that?
I don't know whether you're aware of it, but there are internet search engines you can use to find things out, get the news etc. Google is a popular one. Also I sometimes listen to the radio, they tell you things that are going on in the world between the songs. Anyway, here's one of many news stories...

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK smartphones​

The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April

Sponsored Links
Early evening, 23rd April?
Sunday, and St George's Day.

Pubs will be filled with the chiming of a million phones :D

Early evening, 23rd April?
Sunday, and St George's Day.

Pubs will be filled with the chiming of a million phones :D
Sundays usually are with texts saying your dinner is ready and if your not home in 5 minutes its going in the dog ;)

I don't know whether you're aware of it, but there are internet search engines you can use to find things out, get the news etc. Google is a popular one. Also I sometimes listen to the radio, they tell you things that are going on in the world between the songs. Anyway, here's one of many news stories...

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK smartphones​

The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April

I've read a few reports now, but none say how it works.
It seems very odd. If a text alert I'd understand that, but a siren on the phone that has to be physically stopped, sounds like it would need an app on the phone.

I guess I'll find out on the 23rd.

Oh, built into phones already. You can turn it off if you don't like it.

Panic over.

Screenshot_20230320-150334.png

your phone will be disabled until you acknowledge/read the text message.
probably only during the 10 seconds it will issue the alert.
Many people have had these alerts already, both in the UK and much testing and use has been done overseas.
In Japan, it was used to alert of the tsunami. It saved thousands of lives.

Frankly, with the threat of war looming, I'd be grateful of a warning that a fleet of bombers were on their way!

If I'm honest, I've wondered for a number of years why we don't seem to have a national warning system.

I was reading into the UK's "Command and Control" system from the Cold War (very interesting if you're into that part of civil history) and I couldn't find anything to suggest it had been replaced.

The timing is a bit ominous, but from what I've seen searching archive news stories it had been put off for years.

probably only during the 10 seconds it will issue the alert.
Many people have had these alerts already, both in the UK and much testing and use has been done overseas.
In Japan, it was used to alert of the tsunami. It saved thousands of lives.

Frankly, with the threat of war looming, I'd be grateful of a warning that a fleet of bombers were on their way!
no need for an alert if a fleet of bombers was approaching, the aircraft breaking the sound barrier all over the country on their way to intercept would be noise enough .

Well, looks like we do have one, and most Android phone owners probably have it turned on already. I am leaving mine on for now, as the government has not abused it so far, and I suspect this has nothing to do with planning for the next virus, and everything to do with potential military threats in the future.

We used to have air raid sirens waking us up at all hours. People in Ukraine still have these. I wonder how many complain about the nuisance sirens.

no need for an alert if a fleet of bombers was approaching, the aircraft breaking the sound barrier all over the country on their way to intercept would be noise enough .
That's true. RAF made us all jump on a scout camp a few years back when it was scrambled to intercept a flight UK bound. Was like a bomb going off in the woods.

The timing is a bit ominous, but from what I've seen searching archive news stories it had been put off for years.

Being generous, the technology is now mature enough for it to work.

Being cynical realistic, probably an attempt to deflect from some Tory clusterfudge or other, knowing this shower :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Back