Modem Router Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Netgear DG834 modem router which worked well with the Netgear 511 wireless card in my laptop. Then I bought a wireless card for the PC upstairs which I could only get to work intermittently despite calls to India (helpline) and eventually an exchange. I never managed to sort this problem out.

I decided to make a wired connection to the PC from the same router which worked perfectly first time. (If only the rest of my life was like that!)

The problem I now have is that the wireless connection keeps cutting out. I can use the Netgear utility programme on the laptop and sometimes it can't even find the router. I can reset the router and sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. When I unplugged the cable to the PC from the back of the router my wireless signal is fine again.

This happens whether the PC is switched on or off.

Both machines run XP home edition. I think I uninstalled service pack 2 from the PC a couple of months ago.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Sponsored Links
Check the netgear website to make sure you have the latest firmware version as early versions were somewhat flakey.

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
how do I know that will be any better?

Well, I used to rate netgear stuff, but their quality seems to have deteriorated of late. I install a wide variety of routers and have found the range of features and reliability of the Draytek range to be excellent (no, i'm not on commission :D )

I suppose it will depend on your budget, as Drayteks can be more expensive than other home user routers, however, I have not had any complaints as yet.

Funnily enough it has been behaving itself perfectly for the last few days. If it starts playing up again I will get the Draytek. Thanks for the advice.

Igorian said:
Well, I used to rate netgear stuff, but their quality seems to have deteriorated of late.
As you know I have a DG814 which are now discontinued because of the problem they are having with it, so I'm now staying clear of netgear. I can't help wondering what is the matter with netgear products lately.
petewood said:
Funnily enough it has been behaving itself perfectly for the last few days. If it starts playing up again I will get the Draytek. Thanks for the advice.
This is what mine did, then eventfully it got to me to get rid of it :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back