1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Moonlighting Gas Fitter

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Robster_1981, 24 Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danfre

danfre

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tightness test not legally required for landlord cert. You can buy a u gauge to test gas but do you know about letby , temperature stabilisation, and the permitted losses depending upon type of meter .do you have access to a fga and are familiar with the co/ co2 ratios to say that it is safe. Are you aware of bs 5440 part 1 and 2. Maybe all the above have a little bit to do with being competent

2. Sponsored Links
  3. danfre

danfre

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tightness test not legally required for landlord cert. You can buy a u gauge to test gas but do you know about letby , temperature stabilisation, and the permitted losses depending upon type of meter .do you have access to a fga and are familiar with the co/ co2 ratios to say that it is safe. Are you aware of bs 5440 part 1 and 2. Maybe all the above have a little bit to do with being competent

• Like Like x 2
  4. Robster_1981

Robster_1981

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Didn’t mean to open up a can of worms here fella’s. The problem with forums is that nobody has any background info. I’m a time served mech/elec technician and have 10 years experience working on all kinds of machinery in a car factory. My Dad is a time served pipe fitter and welder and also has City and Guilds in Plumbing and Heating. He has over 50 years experience, so I would be confident in arguing that we are competent.

For me, that word is so deliberately vague, that nobody seems to know what constitutes being competent for the task in hand.

I think it comes down to confidence, which comes from previous experience and ability to apply the skills you have and information at hand to a given situation.

I’d happily do virtually any job in my own home, but before I do it, I make sure I know as much as is possible about it and have the whole job mapped out in my head. I’m not afraid to ask for help, or admit when I’m not capable. That last part is key IMHO. As for doing work in other people’s houses, then that is a whole different matter!

• Like Like x 2
  5. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If your father has Current ACS certification then yes you can argue that you are competent, remember it is not an internet site that you have to argue with, if it goes petong and your house insurance refuses to pay out, when the custody sergeant asks for your belt and shoe laces , tell him you were competent

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Robster_1981

Robster_1981

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fair comment. Where do Gas Engineers stand with connecting the boiler to the power? The gas safe registered engineer that fitted mine ran a spur off a socket in my garage using cable that was lying around in my garage. Did he do an IR test on the circuit to make sure he didn’t adversely affect it? Did he have 17th edition? How did he know the cable he picked up was the correct size? Can he prove he is competent to touch electrics?

7. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But it is a legal requirement if you cut into a gas carcass and re locate an appliance

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. danfre

danfre

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Obviously aware of that. was responding to comments regarding having it serviced and then issuing a gas safety record

9. Robster_1981

Robster_1981

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. hard-work

hard-work

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You have a hard time understanding that competency is your results, what you do. He can go off and do it legally. Get used to it. He gets in trouble if the job is dangerous. Well anyone is in trouble if it is dangerous, whether they hold a piece of paper or not.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hard-work

hard-work

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Show us were it states a piece of paper is needed to practice gas for no gain? I will be waiting a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hard-work

hard-work

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    a piece of paper has nothing to do with gas work for no gain. You have continually been told that. ACS only applies if you charge money for gas work.

14. hard-work

hard-work

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was the result acceptable? Appears so. So he is competent.

15. hard-work

hard-work

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Go to Youtube then search on Tina Barnham. Lots on gas testing, including all the points Danfre brought up. Not difficult to test for soundness. Tina, yes a lady, shows the lot. Also good for professionals who have forgot much if it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nwgs

nwgs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it a Navien ? Run it on a 10mm feed, they are magic

17. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately @Robster_1981 when it comes to the subject of DIY gas, it always does on here. That's why we are not allowed to give DIY gas advice in the public forum. We know that DIY gas work isn't 'illegal' per sé and there is a gaping hole is the legislation about this word 'competent' that should really be tightened up but all the main bodies will recommend against it.

DIY gas has been proven to kill people and to destroy property and invariably the damage isn't just restricted to the person that performed the DIY gas work. More often than not with gas there is major collateral damage.

I guess it all comes down to safety. Gas safe engineers, in the main, have the training, quals and equipment to ensure that correct testing of a gas connection and that a gas appliance is safe to use so it won't kill everyone in the house that's it's located in or close to it.

IMO the question of competency is a moot point when a gas leak blows the house up or a boiler's POC's poisons the inhabitants. Whether I thought I was competent or not I still wouldn't want to play that game TBH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.