Moonlighting Gas Fitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
GasSafe registration authority when notified of a poor job, are not interested if the fitter was not GasSafe. They refer that to the ultimate authority, Health and Safety.

GasSafe, run by Capita, are only a registration organisation for those doing gas work for gain. They do not make the rules, just run a list of people. What they say in their internal bumph carries no weight whatsoever. Only Health and Safety matter and the Building Regulations which are law.

It is a criminal offense to flout the Building regulations. Gas, water and electricity all come under the Building regs.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
DIY gas has been proven to kill people and to destroy property
So has professional work as well.

Health and Safety do not consider DIY gas a problem, as there are few incidents overall. Their main concern is unregistered cowboy operators charging for work, leaving behind dangerous and shoddy installations.

Can I recommend that you get a Gas Safe registered engineer to do the work,
Why should he, when he has himself and his Dad who is heating engineer. Duh! Talk about self interest.

Best he does what I recommended earlier in the thread.

a gas leak blows the house up or a boiler's POC's poisons the inhabitants. Whether I thought I was competent or not I still wouldn't want to play that game TBH.
no one has told him not to test for soundness or not check the products of combustion. No one has told this responsible man to flout those tests. Best you read the thread.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate all the replies here, and it is clearly and quite rightly an emotive subject!
I’ve done a bit of research and believe I’ve found an answer on the subject, or at least as far as the HSE is concerned.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l56.pdf

Refer to page 14 paragraph 52, then page 22 paragraph 81-82. I believe this permits DIY gas work providing the person carrying out the work has ever completed a qualification that includes working on and testing gas. That means that I as an electrician am NOT competent, but my Dad as a qualified pipe fitter/plumber IS competent. For me, this is cast iron proof that the average DIY’er is not competent for this kind of work.

I think debates like this, although frustrating at times, are important for us Tradespeople. They get us thinking about what the law says, and what morally we think is right. Cheers

It is indeed an open forum which is why everyone should be able to give their views without someone directing adverse comments towards their answers personally, unless it is blatantly wrong or dangerous. That is why I am directing my responses directly to the OP and not to anyone else. It is then up to the OP to come to their own conclusions/decisions.

@Robster_1981 my apologies if I have had to stomp on your original post with any comments that may not necessarily be answering your questions, this forum can be like that sometimes.

I appreciate your reference to the regs and it certainly points out how difficult it can be for some to understand them. The regs can sometimes be ambiguous depending on how they are read and I think that's an area that the legislature certainly needs to look at, especially where some information seems to be in conflict but I think most understand that it is certainly better to be safe than sorry when it comes to working with gas and gas appliances.

Show us were it states a piece of paper is needed to practice gas for no gain? I will be waiting a long time.
81 Gas work should only be undertaken: (a) by a person who has successfully completed an industryrecognised training course followed by assessment of competence. Training that leads to assessment of competence in safe gas work should be recognised by the industry’s standards setting body; or (b) in the case of a currently or previously registered person, where they have proved competence through a certification scheme; or (c) for those working at premises that fall outside the scope of the Regulations (see regulation 2(4) and associated guidance), by a person who has successfully completed an appropriate full training course followed by assessment of competence. From the HSE, but what do they know compared to you, and his dad wasnt a heating engineer he was a pipe fitter

81 Gas work should only be undertaken: (a) ....
You have repeatedly been told. That refers to those operating for gain. You do not have to be GasSafe to practice gas work. Even H&S say so. Get used to it.

81 Gas work should only be undertaken:

"should" and not "must"

I am fully aware that DIY gas work can create disasters, but disasters can also be caused as a result of gas work by a person
who has successfully completed an industryrecognised training course followed by assessment of competence
who has a lapse of concentration or has no regard for customers he or she is charging for work done.

Who monitors the quality of the providers of training courses, and who monitors the quality of companies who provide the building of the portfolio for proof of competance

One provider of a "portfolio building" service said:
*** **** *********** are experts in Gas safe on site portfolio building which is required for you to become a Gas Safe Engineer and register with the Gas safe register at a cost of only £120 per day.

You have repeatedly been told. That refers to those operating for gain. You do not have to be GasSafe to practice gas work. Even H&S say so. Get used to it.
You have repeatedly been told it is NOT read it

You have repeatedly been told it is NOT read it
I have given the proof. Direct from H&S. I did a quick Google then it came up. Emphatic. You have given no proof whatsoever that gas work for no gain requires a GasSafe registration. All the stuff you posted was for those operating for gain.

If your mind cannot assymilate simple English then it is best you stay in your world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back