Moron drivers

Jesus H Christ wrote.

I wish it to be known that I do not break the speed limit, nor do I m@sturbate

You wouldn't expect this type of behaviour from the son of god would you!!

Sponsored Links
Personally I have 30 years in cars and 16 years on bikes, and have also come off once on snow and once on ice (eek!), but my view is entirely different to yours - if I'm piling down the outer lane and encounter someone doing the speed limit, if I wish to get past then it's my responsibility to get past safely, and nobody else's.

Road users are entitled to drive/ride at the speed limit as long as it's safe

I agree with you, but its the fact that they are riding along in the outside lane (daydreaming) when they are NOT overtaking and there is NOTHING in the inside lane that ****es me off.

And when you flash, which is perfectly legal, they get all funny about it and flick a finger or something similar.

When asked about what they are doing some have even said that they are allowed to travel in the 'fast' lane when they are going that fast.... :evil:

Daz66 said:
its people driving beyond their skills that is the worry.

It's actually people driving within their skills when it is not appropriate or when the road conditions aren't suitable that worries me.

Are your skills a result of advanced training or just the fact that you have never had an accident and judge yourself to be safe (which is down to luck, not capability)?

Middle lane drivers annoy me, but what annoys me more is when you pull out to overtake one (doing 70mph) and some tit who decides that 90/100mph is acceptable, continues to travel at that speed right up to your rear bumper despite seeing your vehicle in their lane a good quarter mile previously...
Just for the record, if anyone flashes their lights for me to move over I will certainly not hurry myself just for their benefit, I will continue my manouevre safely - and if there is traffic ahead that I can pass at my current speed with no need to pull in I'll stay put in my lane (because it is safer to do so, not out of spite).

Sponsored Links
As for campaigns like "THINK BIKE" - I drive with consideration for all morons that might do something stupid, why should I give particular scrutiny to just one group?

It amazes me the number of bikes that will pass between lines of slower moving traffic on a motorway approaching major junctions (when it's obvious that some idiot is going to force themselves accross two lanes to leave at that exit).
The bikers always seem so irate - I knew it was going to happen (and I'm not as vulnerable as a biker) it happens at every junction and you can see problems coming a mile off - if I was on a bike I'd never assume that somebody will check their mirror (because it would be me that comes off worse).

BoxBasher said:
As for campaigns like "THINK BIKE" - I drive with consideration for all morons that might do something stupid, why should I give particular scrutiny to just one group?
I agree with everything else you've written Boxbasher, but the Think Bike! campaign was all about the fact that most people, including bikers when they're in cars, are all too capable of having a blind spot for anything narrower and more obvious that a car.

There are still lots of bikes/bikers who don't draw enough attention to themselves, with clothing, or headlamps, or simply intelligent road positioning, but the fact is that bikes are harder to spot.

The bikers always seem so irate - I knew it was going to happen (and I'm not as vulnerable as a biker) it happens at every junction and you can see problems coming a mile off - if I was on a bike I'd never assume that somebody will check their mirror (because it would be me that comes off worse).
Sometimes I make them really irate when, as a biker in a car, I think I've foreseen a dangerous overtaking attempt and block them off. :evil:

The irateness is a result of the adrenalin-inducing feeling of being on a bike, and the sense of freedom seemingly being curtailed by someone else. Natural human emotions of course, but not every biker manages to keep them in check.

Softus said:
but the fact is that bikes are harder to spot.

I won't argue that fact, enough people will pull out in front of me when I'm in a huge white van with conspicous markings on.
Some people seem to have difficulty spotting personnel in the roadway wearing hi-vis coats/trousers working between two white vans with orange roof lights and hazards on, positioned behind lines of cones and keep left/right arrows - despite having advanced warning in the form of MAW and road narrows signs positioned well ahead - what chance does a biker stand?

I believe the "THINK BIKE" campaign does need to be supplemented with a "BIKE THINK" campaign - teaching bikers not to put themselves in dangerous situations.

One of my hates is people who don't indicate,especially at busy round abouts.Just annoys me when at a busy roundabout waiting for the vehicle on my right to go past me,as he is not indicating,but turns left.If he was indicating I could of gone.

I live in a small village just inside the borders of the Black Forest. For the first 5 kms. in any direction we must negotiate hills and bends. Through the winter it's nice and peaceful, but come late spring and summer the motorbike riders turn the road into a nightmare. Weekends especially. Not all, but most, seem like they have a death wish. Only ten days ago I went for a drive with my wife when we were unfortunate enough to see a 13 year old boy laying on the road, dying. He had been the pillion behind his brother who was laying 20 meters down an embankment in a critical condition. The death of the boy is the first this year, but everybody knows that there will be more to come. I feel sadness when I think about the boy and the families of the others but as for the riders..... well it's just becoming the norm... Kev...

I have to say, I like that BIKE THINK!!!!!

Are your skills a result of advanced training or just the fact that you have never had an accident and judge yourself to be safe (which is down to luck, not capability)?

Box, I consider myself to be a reasonably good driver, I have a good understanding of road rules and my own abilities and drive according to the conditions. I have driven an advanced driver and received good comments.

I have also driven over 500,00 miles in my time in several different types of car and on different bikes, I have also worked as a driver for someone in London.

I didn't say I never had an accident I said no major accidents or incidents, I have in my time knocked over a wall (reversing) wrecked the front of a van, been driven into several times whilst stationary but these things are bound to happen over time.

When was the last time you were out on a major road in the lashing rain and have been passed by some idiot doing 20-30mph over the top, when have you been out at night and been followed by someone with fog lights on because 'they look cool' and its not even foggy, when have you been on a roundabout and had someone drive all the way round in the wrong lane.......probably these and similar incidents happen to you every day, these people should just not be there.

I have been in a car with someone who went everywhere 5mph under the posted limit, he always had a queue behind him of very irate drivers, he would then stop to let someone out of a side road who couldn't get out because the traffic going the other way was moving too fast and there where no gaps, yet he considered himself a brilliant driver. He also, on one journey, beckoned on a family on bikes into a gap that was being closed down by a car nearly causing an accident and his only defence was he was being 'nice'.

IMHO the best time for a bike to pass cars is in either slow moving or stationary traffic, at junction, roundabouts and lights. If there is an impact it will be at slower speeds.

Usually a biker will be on his way long before the slow witted driver will realise whats going on... ;)

After the things I've seen over here in the last few weeks, I'd like to think I won't be calling British drivers again. e.g. Wheels sheared off trucks cause they're overlaided with bricks. Make-shift vehicles of all types driving down the middle of the speedways without any lights at about 7mph. Overtaking vehicles that are themselves overtaking. Undertaking vehicles that are themselves undertaking. Weaving in and out of traffic (both sides) and using the hard shoulder. Pulling onto a fast road without any regard for whether there's anything coming or not.
You regularly see someone led at the side of the road that's been knocked off a scooter - I'd say 1 in 5 vehicles here don't use lights at night...... many don't have lights and some just don't bother to replace the bulbs when they blow. And as for the little belt driven tractors that trundle about.... well, just don't ask. :eek:

I have a brilliant power point presentation of some vietnamese scooter riders with loaded up scooters...... :LOL:

I will try and post a few tonight.

An old picture but I bet the motor has more built in anti collision systems than the driver.

horse_power.jpg

I find the problem is there are too many car users and not enough drivers on the roads today.

There is no excuse when on a clear and almost straight motorway a car goes at speed into the back of a queue of stationary traffic. That is sheer lack of attention to the road ahead.

One such incident occurred 20 seconds after the last car in the queue had pulled up with hazard lights flashing.

Sponsored Links
Back