lorry blocking manoeuveur

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
Hey you're brother posts on here! joe 90.
Are you saying I'm human? I suggest you research the word, then come back here agree with me (he won't).

If you can't supply any proof that I'm sane (he won't) then you've lost the war. Don't mention the war - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

You're just a limp-wristed leftie. Me? I'm a firm-wristed rightie and about to put it to good use.

Wibble.

joe-91 said:
You're just a limp-wristed leftie. Me? I'm a firm-wristed rightie and about to put it to good use.
Uh Hum!

Sponsored Links
Had a good experience of "merging-in tactics" in November.

Moving to Brighton, in a van with my very good removal guy Vince, we got stuck on the M25. A lorry fire had closed the motorway between J8 and J10, traffic was mostly stationary and we moved about a mile in 2 hours. Everybody was having to come off at the Guildford exit for a lenghty detour.

We reckoned that at the speed we were moving, it would take at least another half an hour to get to the exit. We were in the inside lane but traffic appeared to be going much faster (ie moving!) on the outside.

I, in the passenger seat, tired from packing and stressed out by the move in general, was trying to persuade Vince to pull out, go along the outside and have a go at cutting across when we reached the merging point (bad I know, but I was fed up!)

Anyway, Vince was having none of it and along we trundled at snails pace. About 100 yards before we reached the exit..... They re-opened the M25!!!

So Vince was absolutely right - sure, in a big van we'd have almost certainly been able to cut in, but that would have meant we'd by that point be off the motorway and sitting in a stationary queue heading into Guildford... when in fact we had an absolutely empty M25 in front of us now and were able to make up lots of time with a clear run to Brighton!

I'd have felt a right wally if he'd took my suggestion - we'd probably have been sitting on the flyover going nowhere watching the traffic fly past underneath! :rolleyes:

andy said:
...normally i wait for someone to let me in, but if they dont i just force my way in...
What car do you drive andy?

Late into this topic as usual, but my thinking has changed on this.

I used to hate drivers who, knowing their lane is history, would scream along til the very last minute then pull in. I thought "Why should I (and all the others in that lane) get into that lane in good time only to be held up by pushy bar stewards who thought their time was more precious than mine?"

Now I feel differently.

If everyone got into lane and no-one used the other lane(s) util they ran out, the queue (and the wait) would be even longer.

Think about it!!

BTW, why have the highways agency reduced a lot of the slips on the M60 from two lanes to one??

Has this happened elsewhere, anyone?

I can't contain myself any longer.

securespark said:
If everyone got into lane and no-one used the other lane(s) util they ran out, the queue (and the wait) would be even longer.
This is a fallacy.

securespark said:
Think about it!!
I have thought about it, and it's clear that you haven't, much.

This is incredibly simple. Queue length can be calculated using the following measurements:

1. Length of each vehicle.
2. Gap between each vehicle.
3. Rate of cars arriving at the end of the queue.
4. Rate of passage through the slowest point.

Queue length is actually irrelevant (although a long enough queue will impede other junctions, but that can be mitigated in other ways). What is important is whether the queue is growing or shrinking.

The first factor, above, as an average, is pretty much a constant and can be ignored here. The third one cannot be controlled.

The second and fourth ones, however, are critical. If cars clear the bottleneck more slowly than cars join the queue, then the queue will grow. The aim of everyone in the queue should be to go as fast as possible through the bottleneck.

What happens when people muscle in during the last few yards is that the breaking and out-maneouvering that goes on actually impedes the passage through the slowest point.

What people who block the outer lane are doing, albeit without necessarily realising it, is easing the passage at the bottleneck.

Therefore the best action, for everyone, is to stick in one lane, and leave plenty of gap in front of them to absorb differences in speed and thereby not have to brake.

If you don't do that then you may as be plankton for all the understanding you have of how traffic flows.

andy said:
Softus said:
andy said:
...normally i wait for someone to let me in, but if they dont i just force my way in...

why? so you know who not to let in?
Hardly - you live about 300 miles away from me! The reason I ask is because I'm curious to see whether there's a relationship between choice of car and driving behaviour. Many people believe there is, but I'm open-minded, and without facts I don't know.

Softus said:
andy said:
Softus said:
andy said:

why? so you know who not to let in?
Hardly - you live about 300 miles away from me! The reason I ask is because I'm curious to see whether there's a relationship between choice of car and driving behaviour. Many people believe there is, but I'm open-minded, and without facts I don't know.
type of car has nothin to do with it. its the type of people. people who drive along then jump in follow the highway code. everyone else ignores it. its the others who are in the wrong, but id rather it stayed that way so i can get thru faster...

andy said:
type of car has nothin to do with it. its the type of people.
You're saying that there is no connection between personality and choice of car? Clearly this is hogwash.

Moreover, people don't just have a "type", they have degrees of experience, maturity, and different moods. I used to drive like an idiot, now I don't - what "type" of person does that make me?

andy said:
people who drive along then jump in follow the highway code. everyone else ignores it. its the others who are in the wrong
Perhaps you're right; perhaps it is important to attribute blame.
andy said:
...but id rather it stayed that way so i can get thru faster...
Well then, you're a misguided fool. Hopefully, you'll continue to mature and one day, maybe, realise the error of your ways.

Sponsored Links
Back