lorry blocking manoeuveur

oilman said:
andy said:
when it comes to roadworks etc and lane closures... there is nothin wrong with queue jumping. after all, your suposed to queue in both lanes and merge in turn.

So that means the ones who got there first and are then overtaken by the late rsoles get disadvantaged? Stuff that, you join the queue last, or you can wait behind me because I will be pacing the inside lane vehicles. I HATE queue jumpers :evil:

there are 2 lanes. everyone queues in 1 lane. the highway code says use both lanes. so i do. so whats the problem? and it gets me from a to b faster...

Sponsored Links
the queue is on the inside lane.
its called an overtaking lane for a reason

on your principle of pacing the inside vehicle.. you do 70 when the cars on lane 1 are doing 70.. just to stop the arsehole who is doing 75?

and you are going to cause the two lane queues to back up to the single carriageway section and block that..
dual carriageways carry a maximum amount of traffic, by blocking the outside lane you then make the stretch single carriageway.. and then you wonder why YOU are late next time

in an ideal world everyone would merge in turn.
ok it doesnt happen.. why.. cos the people on the inside lane dont let them..
the rules of the road are that you merge in. if you dont let them its YOU who is being selfish.
next time some one tries to over take you at 20mph will you then cut them up to stop them?.. think about it.
its not queue jumping.. its using the free lane for it's intended purpose.

around here they have even put up signs everywhere saying. 'use both lanes' cos so many people were just using lane 1 and the tail backs were causing grid lock.
double the lanes.. double the capacity.. shorten the q's
remove the gridlock

I grin every time I catch myself complaining like this behind the wheel. :LOL:

I am guilty of a style I call "assertive driving". Now you've all heard of defensive driving. That is a style of driving equivalent where you do everything you can to avoid getting into trouble. It involves observation and braking. If you observe someone's about to sideswipe you because they didn't look, you brake to try and avoid them hitting you. But what good is that if it's too late anyway?

Assertive driving: you make sure that no-one got into a position where they could do that in the first place. I suspect lorry drivers do this. Perhaps they have had the situation where some gimp tries to undertake them, and they missed it from the sizeable blindspot so ended up writing off a car. I worked with someone who tried to undertake a lory that just happened to swing over to the right... yup, artic turning left. :rolleyes:

Example of assertive driving: if you get to a small roundabout where you can't safely fit two cars side-by-side (remember many people will "straightline" a roundabout regardless of your presence), you make sure you are dead-centre.

Sponsored Links
Good driving ..stay alive .. undamaged driving means being fluid, control by positioning, expect the worst when the simple obvious is the way.. Apply the methodology to suite the situation.

Do the mental calcs if becoming agitated at perceived hold ups..
Using 60 mph and thereby 1 min per mile covered as a baseline.
Travelling at 40? could be doing 50? 10 miles to go?
at 40 60/40 = 1.5 mins mile 10 miles = 15 mins
at 50 60/50 = 1.2 mins mile 10 miles = 12 mins
Will you keep up that 50? After a few risks you'll be even more determined to keep it up.. more risks ... All for 3 mins.
Time to get wise, I did .. the old calcs in the head replace that desire to punch past .. calmness descends...
:D :D

yeah but what about.. could be doing 60 but are actually doing 0.5 cos of the lorry?
45 minutes to travel 500m? thats stressfull!

dabaldie said:
yeah but what about.. could be doing 60 but are actually doing 0.5 cos of the lorry?
45 minutes to travel 500m? thats stressfull!

True, But what will you do, take risky passes regularly? You mess up sooner or later and bang it could be a wheelchair job ...It is in your hands, change your route perhaps? a few extra, stress free miles may actually be cheaper in the long run... monetary and health .. The stress will get you before you know it... Look at the pratts now, arms waving, snarling, misinterpreting others actions... kicking the cat and the missus.

thing is i dont take risky passes. not worth the risk. ever.
now my boss.. different story.
anyway.. my point is that i dont take risky passes.. but i would like to be able to pass when it is SAFE to do so. its the drivers that block the outside lane that make it impossible to do.
by passing on the outside lane, i am performing a perfectly legal manoeuver in the correct manner, with the intention to merge in, (another legal manoever). I dont barge my way in. when i get let in i ALWAYS say thank you.
I obide by the highway code so why should i be delayed by the selfish drivers that dont!.
i will merge in well before the road narrows, i'm not one of these people who dont do it until the very last second. but when the blocking is done a mile before the narrows.. thats just selfish and stupid and dangerous. Ive seen cars drive up the grass on the central reservation to get past a lorry, which then drove up the grass too to block him.. how stupid is that. :evil:

near me there is a dual carriageway what turns to single carriageway. about 300M from this there is some traffic lights. 99% of the traffic goes straight ahead or left. the other 1% goes right. the road is fairly wide, and you can easily get 2 cars side-by-side. now, there is ften traffic backed up about 1/3 mile. people turnin right just overtake and there are 2 lanes at the lights. then you get the odd arsehole who pulls out to stop people overtaking, even tho there are goin a different way. was nearly a crash the other week when someone pulled out at the last second to stop him. he was only goin about 30 but had to swerve onto the other side to avoid hitting him. fortunatly, there wasnt anything coming the other way

what winds me up is when you get roadworks on a dual carriageway with signs that say 200yds 150 yds 100 yds 50 yds until you have to pull into the 1st lane.why do people wait till they get 2 yds away from the final arrow to cut people up and muscle there way in :evil: i even leave a gap in front of me sometimes but r soles just ignore it and and wait till the very last minute to squeeze in :evil: when they go shopping at tesco do they q up behind everyone in line or just push to the front.its worse when i've been queing for about 30 mins and you can see they make no effort to wait.they are just pond life that have been spat out and hatched by the sun :evil: :evil: :evil:

You boys need a Merc half-track ... Through the gardens and over the fields and parks .. yesss !!

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
what winds me up is when you get roadworks on a dual carriageway with signs that say 200yds 150 yds 100 yds 50 yds until you have to pull into the 1st lane.why do people wait till they get 2 yds away from the final arrow to cut people up and muscle there way in :evil: i even leave a gap in front of me sometimes but r soles just ignore it and and wait till the very last minute to squeeze in :evil: when they go shopping at tesco do they q up behind everyone in line or just push to the front.its worse when i've been queing for about 30 mins and you can see they make no effort to wait.they are just pond life that have been spat out and hatched by the sun :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yes, but occasionally you get that amusing situation where people are merging in turn in advance, R Sole zooms past... but then EVERYONE decides he's not getting in :LOL: A queue of traffic, bumper-bumper, every single car in the queue with a grinning driver because Mr R Sole can't get in. Disappointing when someone lets him in though.

i often wait till near where the lane is closed to jump in. but if there isnt much traffic i just wait. normally i wait for someone to let me in, but if they dont i just force my way in. its an overtaking lane. im using it to overtake the other slow movin traffic. and the highway code does say merge in turn, so whats the problem. is people used both lanes, total time to get thru would probably be the same, but the queue would only be 1/2 the length

What a diabolical abuse of mathematics. Total time for WHO? You just get there faster, selfishly, while someone els has to give way to you, and in doing so slows down the people behind. Don't just use the highwaymans code to excuse your selfishness.

I remember when i was very young my dad told me that lorry drivers were known as " knights of the road ".

More like pigs of the road today

Sponsored Links
Back