lorry blocking manoeuveur

oilman said:
What a diabolical abuse of mathematics. Total time for WHO? You just get there faster, selfishly, while someone els has to give way to you, and in doing so slows down the people behind. Don't just use the highwaymans code to excuse your selfishness.

i use the overtaking lane for er... overtaking. whats the problem?

and when i mentioned total time i said if everone used both lanes and merged in turn it would still take the same time to get thru.

every been stuck behind a crash on a dual carriageway? people queue in both lanes and merge in turn at the point the police close a lane. and traffic seems to flow better when this happens compared to roadworks

Sponsored Links
....see freddie's post....

Not if they're stopping selfish gits from queue jumping who then try to make excuses for it.

andy said:
i use the overtaking lane for er... overtaking. whats the problem?

Nothing, it's just that in this case you are trying to excuse your selfish queue jumping.

and when i mentioned total time i said if everone used both lanes and merged in turn it would still take the same time to get thru.

and I mentioned it was a diabolical abuse of mathematics, perhaps you could provide the equations to support this statement.

every been stuck behind a crash on a dual carriageway? people queue in both lanes and merge in turn at the point the police close a lane. and traffic seems to flow better when this happens compared to roadworks

um .... perhaps because the policeman's there, and perhaps because, again, you are making a subjective statement without anything to support it.

Just to lighten the mood a little ;)

A couple of years ago I was working in Italy. One of my Roman colleagues offered me a lift back one evening. In Italy they follow a totally different set of road manners to us, but because everyone does it it somehow works (not like Bombay gridlock!)

I knew that he had to turn right up ahead, but relentless he carried on in the leftmost lane (3 lanes in each direction.) Stopped at a red traffic light, actually AT the junction where he needed to turn right. "Oh poo. He's missed the junction" I thought.

Right filter goes to green, so he pulls out, barrels across several lanes, somehow he makes the right turn :eek:

I said to him in a rather shakey way "That was fun... people don't drive like that in England!". He looked at me, perplexed, and said "Drive like what?" :eek:

I pointed out he had done a right turn from the leftmost lane of a 3-lane road. His answer? "Ah, but there was a queue in the right lane, the left lane was empty!" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
and I mentioned it was a diabolical abuse of mathematics, perhaps you could provide the equations to support this statement.

I have to agree with oilman here. The chokepoint can only allow one car through at a time. A single lane of traffic will therefore keep flowing just as fast as the chokepoint will allow.

However, that is theory.

In practice, you have finite road length. If you formed a single file on the approach to every roadworks, that queue would be twice as long. It might even stretch back past another roundabout/junction and cause problems on other roads.

Saying that (yes, there's more!) merging traffic right at the chokepoint will in practice, impede traffic flow more than merging further back. It wouldn't if everyone took their turn and drove properly, but my experience is that some drivers won't let you merge in turn. Merging further back means the traffic flow will be smoother AT the chokepoint.

Perhaps I should become a road design engineer :D

In theory, if you merge well before the choke point, given the fact that people drive at a safe distance from the car in front, then it should be possible to be done at speed and not slow the traffic down. If, however, you wait until you are stopped, side-by-side at the head of the queue, then it can't.

So, erm, if we were all perfect drivers then things would be great :D :D Just wait til the robots take over then it'll be OK !!

johnny_t said:
Just wait til the robots take over then it'll be OK !!

Every time I go for a night out I think this. If I had a car that could drive me home automatically, and legally by itself (i.e. I wouldn't have to be capable of driving), then I wouldn't need to take buses, taxis, or sleep on the floor at a mate's house. I could just lie back and end up in my own bed at the end of the night.
Bliss

And there would be no "hangover maths" the next day as you try to figure out if you are legal to drive home.

AdamW said:
Just to lighten the mood a little ;)

A couple of years ago I was working in Italy. One of my Roman colleagues offered me a lift back one evening. In Italy they follow a totally different set of road manners to us, but because everyone does it it somehow works (not like Bombay gridlock!)

I knew that he had to turn right up ahead, but relentless he carried on in the leftmost lane (3 lanes in each direction.) Stopped at a red traffic light, actually AT the junction where he needed to turn right. "Oh poo. He's missed the junction" I thought.

Right filter goes to green, so he pulls out, barrels across several lanes, somehow he makes the right turn :eek:

I said to him in a rather shakey way "That was fun... people don't drive like that in England!". He looked at me, perplexed, and said "Drive like what?" :eek:

I pointed out he had done a right turn from the leftmost lane of a 3-lane road. His answer? "Ah, but there was a queue in the right lane, the left lane was empty!" :LOL:

I have driven in Lisbon, Portugal in the rush hour on many an occasion. Woooooaaaaah! Eyes in the back of your ar*e...

oilman said:
What a diabolical abuse of mathematics. Total time for WHO? You just get there faster, selfishly, while someone els has to give way to you, and in doing so slows down the people behind. Don't just use the highwaymans code to excuse your selfishness.

Really may only be seconds or a few minutes ... It is, in my book, all about perception .. You think you are making up time, it feels like you are thrusting ahead and making significant gains ... In reality not 'signifcant' at all.
Once risks have been taken then further risks are inevitable, back of the mind says "But I have been clocking 80 with risky overtakes to get here..". Where, 'here', maybe at the rear end of a 40 mph artic' on a windy 'A' or worse 'B' road.
In recent years I have been amazed at the number of overtakes I have witnessed on double, continuous, whites .. Surely 'suites' driving the expensive cars involved should have more sense? ( Plenty of witnesses just ready to bury them too. )
:D

i drive a lorry for a living on summer days i don't block the out side lane
because to many nice ladys showing all that lovely leg

keep it up girls we love it

I was on a tram once and we stopped at the lights I happened to glance down at the car alongside us to see the lady passinger pleasuring the driver, sheaks! fredericka! what a gal, naturally I looked away so as to give them some privacy :oops:

tell u what gets on my t#ts, 2 lorries side by side on a steep slope and the one on the out side can't get passed so they are side by side until one drops back or the road evens out

tell u what gets on my t#ts, 2 lorries side by side on a steep slope and the one on the out side can't get passed so they are side by side until one drops back or the road evens out

markie said:

recently made a fewtrips along the A69... there are overtaking lanes and there has been a few drivers of large slow truck who actually dropped from 35-40 to 15-20 up the hill to let loads of traffic past.... then there is the odd truck who tries to overtake but cant/if he does no-one else gets thru

Sponsored Links
Back