Mould between the bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

Our bathroom doesn't have windows, so we need to keep the light and fan on after every shower. Luckily we never take long showers. But even we are being careful, we have mould between tiles as you can see in the pictures. I tried with white vinegar and bicarbonate, it helped a bit but not enough. I also tried the paint pens and it doesn't really leave it nice and it doesn't fit between the tiny tiles... Any advice on this?
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_094051.jpg
    IMG_20231015_094051.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20231015_094100.jpg
    IMG_20231015_094100.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
Undiluted retail bleach. Apply using paint brush, and leave to dry. Then wash with water. The tiles can be clean in the same way. Some will say bleach is bad for you. I am a big user, and haven't had problems yet. Although the problem could be hidden, and strike me down suddenly.

Thanks mate! I got the bleach today so I'll give that a go and will update on how it went. Cheers!

Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover, use to get it from Wilkos. Spray it on and leave it overnight, quite pungent so keep door closed and window open

Sponsored Links
In the end I did both, I applied the bleach using a spray and leaving it there for a few hours, then scrub it with a brush but not many changes. Then I used Dettol Mould (I didn't know I had it), applied it and left it for 3 hours while I was out. It took quite a lot of it, so the next step might be using the paint pen to keep it white and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Bought this online , works well , squirt on and leave , moulds gone .
But will always return without adequate ventilation .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 96
Just take care when using bleach. I've ruined a few clothes doing this.
Now I clean the shower cubicle in an old pair of swimming shorts

Just take care when using bleach. I've ruined a few clothes doing this.
Now I clean the shower cubicle in an old pair of swimming shorts
You wouldn't want to spray it, that's for sure. It will get into the lungs. It turns my non-white clothes pink, but it is still worth it.

Thank you for your advice, everyone! I applied the bleach and mold remover to the wall while wearing a mask and standing behind the shower glass. It helped dry out the mold and got rid of most of it, but there was still some noticeable color difference. So, I decided to touch it up with a paint pen, and it looks much better now. Thanks once more for your help!

The other thing you need to do, immediately after every shower, is dry the walls. Mould 'loves' stagnent moisture so removing the moisture from the face of the tiles will prevent mould growth. Following the drying of the walls, the warmth left in the tiles as a result of your showering will dry out any moisture from the grouting. Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but that's the only way to prevent mould growth.

The other thing you need to do, immediately after every shower, is dry the walls. Mould 'loves' stagnent moisture so removing the moisture from the face of the tiles will prevent mould growth. Following the drying of the walls, the warmth left in the tiles as a result of your showering will dry out any moisture from the grouting. Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but that's the only way to prevent mould growth.
Alternately, you can use a Shower Cleaner, available in all kinds of flavours. 'Mr Muscle' will help keep the tiles clean and prevent mould getting a hold in the first place.

The soap and conditioner products you use, and the dirt and skin cells you wash off also assist/provide food for the mould. I second the recommendation to dry the walls; keep them clean too - squeegeeing down after every shower helps with this

I periodically jet wash my grout lines that are in the problem zone (head height down), but I think it's rare that people go that far..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back