Moved house, not familiar with this heating system. How does it work, best set up?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thats as maybe ,but since altering the switch at programmer from gravity to fully pumped the boiler is dead as I understand

Oh, I see. I thought the OP had only tried it on hot water, but on reading it again, I can see you are correct.

Thats as maybe ,but since altering the switch at programmer from gravity to fully pumped the boiler is dead as I understand
Yep dead as a dodo.
Oh, I see. I thought the OP had only tried it on hot water, but on reading it again, I can see you are correct.
Strangely since switching to "P" the valve has returned to the heating only position.
I'm thinking the programmer wall plate has been wired in wrong and that getting a newer programmer won't solve the issue?

Are you capable of using a multimeter to check voltages present at the wiring centre ?
If not ,you are going to need a central heating engineer to visit.

Are you capable of using a multimeter to check voltages present at the wiring centre ?
If not ,you are going to need a central heating engineer to visit.
It's not something I'd attempt to be honest.
This is the wiring behind the wall plate...

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_235228.jpg
    IMG_20221120_235228.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20221120_233730.jpg
    IMG_20221120_233730.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 64
With it back in "G" mode this morning, I tried the hot water only, the valve was in the "W" position. Turned the hot water off then put heating on, the valve moved to "M" and stayed there until I turned the heating off, it returned back to "W".

Is it possibly the fault could be at the valve end?
OR more likely to be that someone has messed up the wiring, realised their mistake and bodged it up in "G" mode at the programmer?

That's not wired correctly for a Y plan set up with a 3 port valve ,there is no connection for Hot water being satisfied. Is there no thermostat on your hot water cylinder ?
When you tried hot water only this morning ,and valve was in W position ,I assume boiler didn't fire up ?
Edit...just seen pic of cylinder and it does have a thermostat fitted.

Last edited:
That's not wired correctly for a Y plan set up with a 3 port valve ,there is no connection for Hot water being satisfied. Is there no thermostat on your hot water cylinder ?
When you tried hot water only this morning ,and valve was in W position ,I assume boiler didn't fire up ?
Edit...just seen pic of cylinder and it does have a thermostat fitted.
The boiler did fire up... The radiators heated up too.
Is it possible the drayton ma1 could be seated incorrectly on the valve? Ie the valve position doesn't match up with what's being displayed at the side W, M, H for example the unit is indicating that hot water mode is on but the valve is in the position for both hot water and heating.
Is that easy to rectify?

OR more likely to be that someone has messed up the wiring, realised their mistake and bodged it up in "G" mode at the programmer?
That would be my theory also.

As per @terryplumb you are missing the hot water off connection from the programmer. However, there is also a second source for a hot water off signal and that's your cylinder thermostat.

Capture.JPG

With heating and hot water both set to 'on at the programmer, if you turn the cylinder thermostat to maximum, and the central heating room thermostat to maximum, the motorised valve should be in the mid position. Then, if you turn the cylinder thermostat down to its minimum position, you should hear a click from the thermostat and the valve should move to the heating only position. Does that happen?

That would be my theory also.

As per @terryplumb you are missing the hot water off connection from the programmer. However, there is also a second source for a hot water off signal and that's your cylinder thermostat.

View attachment 286337

With heating and hot water both set to 'on at the programmer, if you turn the cylinder thermostat to maximum, and the central heating room thermostat to maximum, the motorised valve should be in the mid position. Then, if you turn the cylinder thermostat down to its minimum position, you should hear a click from the thermostat and the valve should move to the heating only position. Does that happen?
Just tried your suggest and nothing. Valve is still sitting at "M".
In the current state will the water be constantly heated whilst heating is on? Is that safe? Is there anyway to manually switch the valve to heating only mode?

Just tried your suggest and nothing. Valve is still sitting at "M".
In the current state will the water be constantly heated whilst heating is on? Is that safe? Is there anyway to manually switch the valve to heating only mode?
No ,you can only manually latch it in mid position. It returns to domestic hot water only Port ,under its spring pressure, if no voltage is supplied to it.
Your set up /( wiring) is such that you are stuck with both heating and hot water coming on simultaneously when heating is called for.
The temperature of the hot water in the cylinder doesn't appear to work Under the control of the cylinder stat, so the temperature would get upto the temperature of the central heating water under the control of the boilers thermostat ,whatever that may be set to.
If you want to have the system working as it should ( Y plan) you will need an engineer to rewire it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back