Moving a switched fused spur on kitchen wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of re-designing the kitchen. At the moment the switched fused spur for the washing machine is on the wall just above the worktop - however as we'd like to put in a full height cupboard there and the switch will need to be moved, as it'll be covered by the side of the cupboard. If it moved 30 cm along the wall all would be fine. Hopefully the attached picture makes sense.

We've spoken to a couple of kitchen places about this, and the general view seems to be 'That's not a problem, we'll just connect some extra wires up to in and move the switch 30cm to the left - job done'

I'm not an electrician, but I understand that wiring should run vert or horz from any socket/switch in the 'Safe Zone'. The existing switch location can be seen covered by the new cupboard side. My concern is that with the switch moved, although the new wiring would be in a considered safe zone, however as no-one would be now aware of the existing switch location - will the existing vert wiring will no longer be in a safe zone? Or as it's covered by a metal channel (as less than 50mm from the surface) would that be considered suitable safe anyway under the rules? As the only other way would be to move all the vertical wiring along the wall 30cm.

Just wanting to make sure no-one's doing anything silly that'll bite me on the arse when I come to see the house, or could be dangerous in the mean time.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Kitchen Wiring Washing Machine.jpg
    Kitchen Wiring Washing Machine.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,079
Sponsored Links
Kitchen places are not electricians, and it was due partly to those cowboy approaches that the whole part P thing came about. I feel the metal channel will not make it safe under the rules, but others may have other ideas.

You don't actually need a switched FCU for a washing machine as there is a fuse in the washing machines plug. You may want an isolating switch but that is not required either. For isolation you can't beat pulling the plug out.

You could of course leave it where it is and have a hole in the back of the cupboard in that position.

You don't actually need a switched FCU for a washing machine as there is a fuse in the washing machines plug.
By golly, Winston, what would we do without you?

The way that you have been able to divine that there is only one socket on the spur supplying the washing machine is truly magnificent - not many other people could have done it. mwatsonxx perhaps, but other than that you are without competition.

In my experience kitchen fitters know very little about wiring and building regulations. So not to be trusted when comes down to altering electrical circuits and accessories.
You have the general idea with regards to permitted safe zones, more detail can be found here https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls.

Protecting the cable with a metal plate or using earth shield cable is an option. The metal plate is not the capping plate used to secure cables, it will need to be a higher gauge than that 3mm probably. And burring cable in solid walls greater than 50mm (which also applies to the reverse side of the wall). Would need to comply to regulations concerning depths of chases in walls (Part A building regs)

There is another thing to consider when installing new cable and sockets, the requirement for RCD protection maybe needed.

Sponsored Links
Another option is to keep the original accessory in the back of the cupboard as a blanking plate, then do what you proposed. Then you can maintain the connections too if necessary.

PS to the op ignore any heated tangential debates if they happen and hopefully you'll get enough help with your query!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Due to this, and other issues with the design when trying to put a full height cupboard in the kitchen, we're going to scrap that idea so the switched fused spur will stay put.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Due to this, and other issues with the design when trying to put a full height cupboard in the kitchen, we're going to scrap that idea so the switched fused spur will stay put.

Fair enough but consider changing it for a 20amp switch. As I said, "You don't actually need a switched FCU for a washing machine as there is a fuse in the washing machines plug".

Because two identical fuses in line is not necessary and a nuisance under fault conditions when both will probably blow.
The nuisance would be probably having to replace the fuse in the plug, having to scramble about in cupboards full of pots, pans, boxes, containers, plates etc.. or having to pull out an appliance on lino/laminate floors and work in confined spaces. By removing the SFCU for a two pole unfused iso, that is not going to change if the plug fuse blows.

Because two identical fuses in line is not necessary and a nuisance under fault conditions when both will probably blow.
Winston - please resolve to do the following:

Spend 16 hours per day for the next 70 years standing in front of a mirror saying "not necessary is not equivalent to not allowed".

Extending the cables will be fine I'd personally blank the existing spur box. Make a joint in it so it's accessible and run it along to the new back box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back