my bath isn' square against the wall...help??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone. i have been renovating a house with my dad and have done well so far. We have now got to the bathroom - tiled the walls and floor completely then come to put the new suite in. toilet and sink are fine but the bath isn't square against the wall (none of the walls in the house are square!) so I'm left with a gap in one corner that tapers down to nothing t the head of the bath (shower end). I've been trying to research about bath seals but can't really come up with anything that looks as if it would be suitable. The gap is probably about 20mm at the widest part. can anyhone help me please??

Sponsored Links
Generally the bath would be fitted before the wall is tiles so that the wall can be built out (with plasterboard maybe) to square it with the bath then after tiling it is hidden.

it hasn't been done that way though so i need a fix for the way we've done it. we've done the whole house ourselves and so far this is the only obstacle we've come across..there has to be something available on the market to overcome the problem??

As the :evil: one has said, baths are fitted before tiling takes place for this very reason - even in new builds walls can be out of square!

However, you've already got yourself into a pickle so this information isn't actually that helpful. My suggestion would be to space the bath off the wall a bit. You could do this on either the long or the short side, but I'd have it at least two inches away at it's closest otherwise it'll look odd. From this 2" minimum, square the walls off at finished bath height with timberwork capped with some thin plywood or similar. Fit the bath up to the timberwork and wall, plumb in, then tile over the timber and overlap the bath edge by about half an inch. You should now have a slightly tapered tiled shelf at either the side or end of the bath that will hide your f***-up quite nicely :D

Sponsored Links
The only way to do it right is to square the room up before you put anything into the room. If I were you I'd forget about a few tiles and square the bad wall up then tile that wall again.

Not thought about a free standing bath? Might be more expensive than chopping out the tiles upto bath height, fit the bath then re-tiling though.

How about building a framework to sit the bath in, then tile that to match.

I had a bath like that on a not straight wall in one house, worked fine.

If you have room to do it Mattilads suggestion above is best.

I would offer bath up to tiles, mark exactly where it comes to, then get my diamond blade in the nagle grinder and cut a groove in the wall which the bath would recess into. Fill the groove with silicone and squash the silicone out as I push the bath into the slot so made. Then go round with a credit card /chisel / stanly blade wiping off the excess silicone. Allow that to go hard over night then put a fresh corner beed of silicone where bath and tiles join.

Anything else you try will be fine if you don't mind water running down the back wall.

acrylic baths and tiled walls cause water damage to rooms below if not fitted correctly. we get called to them all the time. People seem to get very distressed about water coming through the ceiling of room below a bathroom..

Badly fitted shower trays in upstairs rooms are another great source of upset.

Still, they say ignorance is bliss.

Just undercut tiles with a grinder 20mm deep and chop out below tiles to fit bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back