My Christmas Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Thought I’d share the pics of my Christmas lights with you, they are online at: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/thomdan/ and the album password is "mercury".

Lorraine is a friend of mine whose house I also decorate and Alan is her neighbour. I don’t put any of Alan's lights up but do give him a hand with the electrics as his knowledge is limited; his lights are fed from newly installed outdoor sockets fed from their own mcb. Last year everything was plugged into the ring main and you couldn’t even boil the kettle as the ring main mcb would trip :eek:

Please let me know what you think and if there’s any sparky guys out there let me know what you think of my electrics (good or bad lol).

Cheers
Dan :)

Sponsored Links
link dosent work Dan

Are they rcd controled?

try and get that picy

sounds dodgey if ya MCB was trippin :confused:

Link does work, but it also says

"current album: thomdan - 0 pics "

Hi mst,

Link works fine for me, you need to log into the album using "mercury" as the password and then click on "xmas lights 2006" to enter the folder and then click on the folder you want to view.

Yes all the lights are RCD protected and always have been, all three houses have TT supplies and have a 30ma RCD as the main incomer. Not to current standards i know but show me any "older" house that is lol!

All the best
Dan

Sponsored Links
Click on where it says christmas lights 2006 ;)

I personally hate christmas lighting displays, but as I install thousands of them in a commercial environment I'm all bitter and twisted

Got ya!

looks alright that! ;)

worrying the MCB was tripping tho :rolleyes:

Well done Dan

You asked for opinions, so here's mine:

I would lose the adaptors in the sockets.

Give better protection for cables outside.

Why have you got a mix of masterseal & ordinary accessories?

Is that transformer rated for outside use?

Looking at the pics, not entirely suprised it trips the MCB!! How many lights? When you tot up the loads what do they all come to? It must take a while to put them up and take them back down again!!
(What sort of fish do you have? - me being nosey!!)

Hi MST,

Thanks for the comments, yes it was a bit worrying which is one of the reasons I got involved rather than wait for the house to burn down :eek:

Securespark,

I’m not proud of the adaptors but needs must unfortunately, I am very careful when using them though and I make sure I only use fused ones. The one at Lorraine’s only has 3 sets of Christmas lights plugged into it so only has about 60-70 watts running through it. The one in my power cabinet has slightly more and has about 400 watts running through it. There are no more cubes in use anywhere else.

All the cables are run safely out of harms way and peoples feet so I see no reason to add further protection, especially as they are only temporary anyway. If I did use conduit or some other type of protection it would take forever to set everything up. I’m very confident that my display doesn’t pose a risk to anyone and is one of the “safer” ones out there.

The different accessories is purely down to when they were installed and what was in stock at the wholesalers at the time, the MK and Loblite stuff is about on par with each other anyway. The junction boxes used are all from the Gewiss range, there will be less of these next year as I’ve bought those power spike sockets that you stake into the ground to make setting up the lights easier. The boxes which house the trailing sockets, transformers etc are mostly all the same but the odd one or two are different, again down to what was in stock at the time.

I assume you mean the yellow transformer in the shed, it’s just a regular power tool transformer that runs the handful of American light sets I have in the back garden.

Spark123,

If you think that Alan has a lot of lights this year then you should have seen the house last year lol. It was plastered with lights all around the side too and you couldn’t even see the floor of the drive. Most of the stuff was ropelight figures which are probably the most power hungry things you can buy lol! I convinced him to have some outdoor sockets installed for this year which he did, they are on their own 20amp circuit with a DP switch by the front door, the garden electrics were also moved onto their own circuit which was a spur from the ring main feeding 3 sheds with fridges, heaters, security lighting etc… so these probably contributed to the problems last year too.

Lorraine's lights take 2 days to put up and the same to take down. Mine takes 5 days to put up and the same to take down. Packing everything away varies depending on what needs to be allowed to dry out properly and how long it takes lol! Everything is usually away by the end of January though.

I’m not sure of the total loading of Alan’s house as I’ve never measured it; Lorraine’s measured at 13.2 amps this year and all of my lights totalled 22.2 amps. Lorraine’s are fed from a 20amp mcb in the main consumer unit which feeds the power board pictured; a timer then switches the supply on/off via a contactor. Mine are split into different sections, the front lights are switched by a simple digital plug-in timer and the sockets it’s plugged into are on their own 20amp circuit (pictured), the side lights are also switched by a plug-in timer and the back garden lights have two supplies switched by one timer with a pair of contactors. The power cabinet feeding the side and back lights is on its own 30amp circuit (again pictured).

The fish are just regular gold fish, picture below taken ages ago so they are much bigger now.

All the best
Dan

DSC00060.jpg

dannyboi, i have a nasty feeling that powerspike socket you bought is not weatherproof with a socket inserted. and it certainly will not take a wall-wart tranny. soz. :LOL:

Incidentally, any chance of a description of what does what in the technical bit of your display? its certainly a huge collection of accessories and cables! ;)

Hi Crafty,

The power spike(s) I've bought are IP56 rated with a plug connected so no problems there :D . I'm using them to replace the little round junction boxes pictured so when I'm setting everything up I haven't got to worry about wiring anything together, I can just plug and play :LOL: . The larger grey boxes which house the trailing sockets, plugs and transformers will remain the same.

I'd be more than happy to give you a description of what does what in the technical section, let me know the names of the images that interest you and i'll provide a detailed description.

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back