My daily heating routine

I am wrapped up in t shirt, shirt, jumper and a wearable blanket, but i still feel it with the thermostat on 17, i guess i am a wimp :)
If you're not proud as we say up here, get a hat on as well, one that covers your ears. And are your feet and legs being kept warm enough?

If you're chilly at 17 degrees then yes you're a wimp ;)

I was laughing like scrooge yesterday when the temp in one of my bedrooms hit 9 degrees :)

Sponsored Links
As for keeping on top of mould/damp problems, That's something I monitor around the place almost daily.
But you mentioned black mould on the bedroom ceiling. That suggests it is cold.

Real time update. Mind you, now at 17.00, I'm looking forward to 17.30 :)

thermometer.jpg

We sometimes end up with our thermostat up to the the 23° mark to feel comfortable. On my hive app I can see that it drops overnight to around 19° before coming on at 6.00 in the morning. I left it on all night at 20° yesterday because of the snow to keep it warm for the dog downstairs but I got up about 3.30 because I was sweating buckets!

FD36725E-F361-4B88-A8E8-3583CC4E43D1.png

Sponsored Links
But you mentioned black mould on the bedroom ceiling. That suggests it is cold.
Yes but I've lived here 11ish years and that area of the ceiling does that now and again, regardless of what I do with the heating.

We sometimes end up with our thermostat up to the the 23° mark to feel comfortable. On my hive app I can see that it drops overnight to around 19° before coming on at 6.00 in the morning. I left it on all night at 20° yesterday because of the snow to keep it warm for the dog downstairs but I got up about 3.30 because I was sweating buckets!

View attachment 288759

23?? even before the prices went up we only had it on 20

Is it costing a bomb to keep at that temperature?

I tried keeping the house cooler, and we were all OK, but condensation became a problem with black mould forming on cold spots, and towels constantly wet. So decided to turn the heating up. Well, on for longer. Can't remember exactly, but something like 5.30am-7.30am, 3pm-5pm, 8pm-10.30pm.

Still tweaking radiator thermostats. House much nicer to live in. Going to cost a bit, but worth it.

This might not make sense but here goes! My CH is controlled by a wall thermostat in the hall. To get my lounge to 18-19 degrees, I set that thermostat to around 15. If I set it to 18-19 my lounge would be 20+ which is too warm for me.

Like I say, both bedrooms (at back of house) won't get above 15. Back of house is coooooooooold.

Even at this time of year, I'm sleeping with nowt on (my usual) bar a t-shirt and socks :) and there's no heating on overnight. omg couldn't bare that tbh.

With partner WFH and a 4 year old running about the place, we have thermostat set constantly to 18/18.5°C, and that's comfortable for us.
As a small mid-terrace, we are gaining a little heat from our next door neighbours - our call for heat was for about 2 hours yesterday, which doesn't seem bad.

...and we get a Nest leaf everyday! :)

Older people are often unaware of the effects of cold.
exactly my thoughts i am normally in the garden in full heat in the summer all be it just in my underpants ---dont ask---
i dont sweat as i moderate what i do but you would think at 30 degree in the shade would encourage feeling hot so made a conscious decision at 69 to not spend time in the sun above say 24 degrees
i also noted i could spend several hours in the workshop at below 10 degrees and apart from hands feel ing cold i was fine so have decided my thermostat can not be trusted and keep the room above 18 degrees if there for more than an hour

This might not make sense but here goes! My CH is controlled by a wall thermostat in the hall. To get my lounge to 18-19 degrees, I set that thermostat to around 15. If I set it to 18-19 my lounge would be 20+ which is too warm for me.

Like I say, both bedrooms (at back of house) won't get above 15. Back of house is coooooooooold.
Ours is in the lounge. We used to have it in the hall many, many years ago but found that it came on every time the front door was opened so we moved it. You've seen the graph for yesterdays heating. Here’s what it cost:

A1BCD770-E282-4BC7-924E-D244A427C888.png

We pay £127 a month for dual fuel and we are currently nearly £400 in credit.

6AE4AE6B-BCC4-4326-8455-B4DAFC1E1DD9.png

Current temp but it will creep up during the evening - too easy to do on the hive app on the iPad or phone - don't even have to get out of the chair!

12216034-0D31-46BD-B3EA-5E0F9E39155E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back