my grandaughter gets no help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI my grandaughter is 16 and will be 17 in december she has applied for dozens of jobs with no luck so far no one seems to write back to her,
she did try for some financial help from the D W P but they tell her she is not entitled to any benifits until she is 18??? her mum is a single mum and works very hard and has to keep her for nothing as she has lost any benifits she had when she was at school
Does anyone know if she is entitled to some help from somewhere???
I makes me so mad that this country in flooded with imigrants young and old who seem to be able to claim our benifits yet our own young cant get anything

mick

Sponsored Links
just get her into college
then her mum/dad/guardian can carry on claiming child benefit, she can claim EMA (about £30 a week) this will continue until her 19th birthday.

I makes me so mad that this country in flooded with imigrants young and old who seem to be able to claim our benifits yet our own young cant get anything

mick
Ask the people in power and they will say we are all entitled to the same help.!!!!!

BULLSH!T !!!

This place is a disgrace.

Hope she finds some work soon.

Sponsored Links
just get her into college
then her mum/dad/guardian can carry on claiming child benefit, she can claim EMA (about £30 a week) this will continue until her 19th birthday.
If she can't find work as kevindgas has said, keep her education going this will help finacially and hopefully in the long run give her a greater range of skills and dare I say it? "a better range of employment open to her"
There are lots of course out there for the young which are free, I only wish those courses where open to me that cheap when I was a tender age.

Many thanks for all your replies i have decided to have a talk to her and try to talk her into a course at the college she wants to be a hairdresser so i will look to see if there are any courses available
if they have not been taken up by now
I will also try to take her to as many salons as possible to see if they will take her on and i am prepared to pay for her transport costs to and fro
what else can you do in my early days people moved from job to job sometimes every month
She has done well at school and has 9 G C S E s and has sent details to dozens of employers without any replies back so she is feeling a bit down at the moment anyway i will try to help her and put her on the right track as i don't want her to go down the path of drugs and teenage pregnancy thanks again mick

Mick,
go to the local jobcentre and demand to be allowed to join the 'job club'.
They go through your career/education history and show you how to highlight your good points and play down/strengthen your poor points. They will draw up a CV with her and teach her how to write a speculative letter as well as a formal application letter for any jobs she fancies going after.
She will be allowed free use of a phone/fax (for job hunting purposes only), free postage for any letters and free access to a computer/internet.
When I lost my job a number of years ago I was told I had to be on the dole for 6 months before being eligble to join. I argued my case on the point that I was used to getting up early to attend work and did not want to fall into the trap of becoming lazy. Also, as I was fresh to the work market my skills were still finely honed. Slightly different in your grand daughters case but you can see where I am coming from. Don't be fobbed off by some jobsworth who doesn't know his armpit from his elbow. Tell her to go out there and stand her ground but don't be aggressive.

Good luck and lets know how she gets on.

Time was, when you could leave school, and take on low paid or casual work, whilst you either got some training or decided what you wanted to do.

Trouble is, these are just the sort of jobs that appeal to our Eastern European friends. They are usually a bit older, and often bring additional skills and a strong work ethic. I'm afraid that many 'Kevin' type teenagers, with a long list of dubious qualifications, suddenly aren't such an appealing proposition to employers.

It's a whole new ball game out there these days, I wish your grandaughter luck.

Sponsored Links
Back