Where am I from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People sometimes ask me this, but I am not really sure what to say or even what it means. Perhaps you could help me?

Would some background help? Maybe I should start with as far back as I know - my grandparents. My paternal grandfather was born in Buxton (Derbyshire) but has lived most of his life in Blackpool. His parents are rumoured to be tinkers from Liverpool and Ireland. My paternal grandmother comes from Cumberland (mainly now Cumbria, as she always point out); her mother was from Derby and her father from Glasgow. My maternal grandparents - Nan talked of Northern Irish and German relatives but I all I really know is that they lived a lot in Blackpool. My Dad was born in Blackpool and hence has an accent from there. My Mum was born in Stone, Staffordshire. She moved every 6 months to escape her Dad, but she says her happiest times were in Sidmouth (Devon) and Chester.

I was conceived in Manchester but born in Falkirk, Scotland. I moved when I was two years old to live in Cannock, Staffs. Then 6 years later to a village in South Staffs, near Wolverhampton. So I spent from 8 years old to 18 years old there. I then lived in Sheffield for 5 years which I liked very much. I met my wife there. Then a few moves round and about the country but now live in South Leicestershire, and like it; we have been here for four years and do not plan to move.

I seem to be able to easily understand all strong accents and some of my speech resembles especially Scottish, Lancashire and Black Country.

It's an identity crisis. Where am I from?

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
It's an identity crisis. Where am I from?

Britain :LOL: , I might even go as far as say England on a good day, lol

Next question

Oooh you're a bit of a mongrel Notb665 :LOL: I suppose you could describe yourself as Scotlish ;) :LOL:

My eldest was conceived in England, born in Germany and has Welsh parents. He tells everyone he is Welsh though and has more of a Welsh accent than I do and I lived there half me life :rolleyes: :LOL:

My youngest just sounds like one of the local gypsies and I even have to translate his conversations to my mother LMAO

From Bloody Northern, Feckless Irish Tinkers :eek: :LOL: ;) No wonder the family kept quiet :oops:

Sponsored Links
one of my mates has family in doncaster, finland, halifax, scunthorpe, all over. place of birth on her passport is somewhere in finland. She's lived in england since she was about 1 yo lol.

I think you've answered your own question : -

notb665 wrote:

You're nationality is British, whether you or I like it or not. It is the law. You don't get English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, or for that matter Cornish, Yorkie, Scouser, Maccem, Brummy etc on your passport do you? Catalonians are Spanish, by law.
just stimulating...

Seem to remember doing something similar a while ago.

I was born in Aberystwyth, a fact I am proud of, even though it was in error, as I was 3m prem.

My Ma was born in N London, my Pa in the East End.

I was brought up partly in London, but mostly in Stockport.

My grandparents were born in London & Shropshire.

What determines who you are? Where you were born, where you were brought up, or where you live?

I can't be Welsh, I was only born there. I can't be a Londoner just because my parents were born there, and I spent a few years there as a kid.

But neither do I feel a Stopfordian, especially as everyone up here keeps saying I talk "posh".

You think you're confused, not??

securespark said:
I can't be Welsh, I was only born there. I can't be a Londoner just because my parents were born there, and I spent a few years there as a kid.

Acshuallllllly, you could if you were a wonderful sportsman, play for England or Wales. England because your parents are English and Wales because you were born there.

My son, though he was born in Germany is thankfully not German as he has a British Forces Birth Certificate. I made hubby pay the extra for one as there was no way I was having a German child. If he had the bog standard German BC and he went over there now they could conscript him into the German army for National Service :eek: He therefore assumes our 'identity' and can claim to be Welsh :LOL: Youngest is English whether he likes it or not conceived, carried and born here much to his disgust ;) :LOL:

It's not where your'e from but where you've been that's important ;)

Brightness said:
there was no way I was having a German child.

I was worried there might be some sort of racism there for a moment; until I read:

Brightness said:
If he had the bog standard German BC and he went over there now they could conscript him into the German army for National Service :eek:

That's the reason! OK then!

But:

Brightness said:
Youngest is English whether he likes it or not conceived, carried and born here much to his disgust ;) :LOL:

Oh. I see. Is there something wrong with being English?

notb665 said:
Brightness said:
there was no way I was having a German child.

I was worried there might be some sort of racism there for a moment; until I read:

Brightness said:
If he had the bog standard German BC and he went over there now they could conscript him into the German army for National Service :eek:

That's the reason! OK then!

But:

Brightness said:
Youngest is English whether he likes it or not conceived, carried and born here much to his disgust ;) :LOL:

Oh. I see. Is there something wrong with being English?

notb665, I like German people & always found them (with a few exceptions) to be really friendly. Would you want your child to be conscripted into a foreign army when he doesn't speak the language? :LOL:

And no, there's nothing wrong with being English :rolleyes: Stop trying to read into things I post :rolleyes: My son has a Welsh name and we are Welsh but he gets teased by his mates that he is the only family member who is not Welsh and is indeed an English man with a Welsh name that not many English people can pronounce :LOL:

I'm boring. All my family's from Doncaster. Well, ok, Yorkshire. My dad's side is all from doncaster at least 2 generations up. Mum's parents are from Brighouse so not too far away. All lived in doncaster for last 25 years at least.

Brightness wrote.
notb665, I like German people & always found them (with a few exceptions) to be really friendly. Would you want your child to be conscripted into a foreign army when he doesn't speak the language?
I must admit I have only met and conversed with German people whilst on holiday. I find the opinions or jokes(deck chairs etc) about them to be totally unjustified. I have always found them to be pleasant and polite but probably a bit to the point for some people.

The ones I have spoken to do tend to take their work seriously. However I would rate Germany, along with the UK and the Dutch, as being the hardest working group within the EU. Just as well really, as between us we probably keep it going. :(

Sponsored Links
Back