myson velaire vittesse constantly firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,recently moved into house with oil central heating and have noticed that boiler seems to be firing alot (no experiance of oil heating so totally lost). Have it set low (setting 2 on dial on boiler) so wondering if it should be firing so often. Would a programable digital room thermostat help?

Sponsored Links
You should not set it low. This time of year s/be set to almost maximum or 80 degrees. As long as it responds to your controls and things heat up it should be fine. If you have gravity HW boiler will work all the time the programmer is calling.

Have potterton timer controlling boiler that only allows two time settings, cannot switch HW off with CH on. Think i will look into digital programable room thermostat which allows independant switching.

Try turning your boiler stat up.....this will put more heat into the rads, will heat up the rooms better and the boiler shouldn't cycle off an on so frequently.
With the stat low, the limited heat the boiler produces is quickly lost into the air, so the boiler cuts in again to try to boost the temperature up.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Have potterton timer controlling boiler that only allows two time settings, cannot switch HW off with CH on. Think i will look into digital programable room thermostat which allows independant switching.

You'll not be able to independently switch CH if it's gravity HW unless converted to C-Plan (HW zone valve, cyl stat, boiler interlock).
To find out check if you've pipes leading from all 4 boiler tappings.

You'll not be able to independently switch CH if it's gravity HW unless converted to C-Plan (HW zone valve, cyl stat, boiler interlock).

Have Stanton cylinder in loft for HW, will get back to you about tappings.

Try turning your boiler stat up.....this will put more heat into the rads, will heat up the rooms better and the boiler shouldn't cycle off an on so frequently.
With the stat low, the limited heat the boiler produces is quickly lost into the air, so the boiler cuts in again to try to boost the temperature up.
John :)

Plenty heat in rads, water nice and hot. Just no control over system firing all the time. Will turn up boiler and see.

blakey912";p="1490803 said:

I've had a look at boiler and can see four pipes (the two each side) at top and bottom of boiler. Is this tappings i am looking for ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back