Mystery box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
box.jpeg

My son just moved house and we found this . Tried google image search nothing showed up.
Can anyone help us out and tell us what it is , or does ?.

Sponsored Links
Hi rsgaz
Thanks for the reply. Its on top not inset . Checked out your link , looks like this one could be an older version .
Doesn't give any information how they work or who moniters it . Would it be safe to rip it out , without the risk
of the police crashing in the front door.

Sponsored Links
Seems an odd way to trigger a panic system. I would expect something much easier to trigger. Could you remove the screw in the middle, take the cover plate and take another photo of the internals? The knob above the red light, looks like a slider type volume control, can it be moved?

The style to me, suggests 1960's.

I have seen these in a jewellers shop, they were linked to the alarm and then to a monitoring service (ADT) looks like the key is stuck and broken

Thanks Harry Boomfield , crystal ball.
Will take the cover off next time I'm there and take a photo of the inside , and post .
The photo is not to clear the red is just plastic not a light , I think , its behind a wardrobe very awkward to see it.
Above the red is like a keyhole.
Thanks again for you're replies.

It is definitely a person attack button that would be linked to an alarm system. On a monitored system, pressing it would usually silently alert the monitoring station who would call the police (or in some instances the alarm might call the police directly).

Yes, assuming the panic is connected to alive system, if you take the cover off it will either sound off or do as Dave suggests.

red flag means it's already been pressed!

No alarm or police, so you can take the lid off and disconnect

Seems an odd way to trigger a panic system. I would expect something much easier to trigger. Could you remove the screw in the middle, take the cover plate and take another photo of the internals? The knob above the red light, looks like a slider type volume control, can it be moved?

The style to me, suggests 1960's.

All that is inside is a reed switch and maybe 3 terminals.

When the magnet isn't by the reed switch (either because the buttons been pressed or the cover removed) the alarm goes off.
1980's

I was talking about that model ....you couldn’t use that model on a police response system ...

Sorry I thought you meant PA buttons in general rather than that type specifically.

My nephew who was 5 at the time pressed a double button silent PA whilst visiting my fathers post office. Full police response to that :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back