Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, planning a new kitchen and wondering about narrowing the back door so as to fit larger units onto the adjacent wall. Current door is 2134 x 915mm, solid wood, framed in brick work. Its a big door for the size of the kitchen, would actually prefer it to be smaller so it swings out less also. I'd be adding 110mm of brick on one side roughly, worked out that a 813mm wide standard door would then be the nearest size i could fit. But my problem would be that 2032mm is the standard height for that. So question is what i am best to do with the 100mm ish delta in height that would be at the top of the door?

Order a custom 2134x813 door. Not sure this would look 'right'.
Put in a new lower lintel with the new brick work, brick up the gap to the existing lintel, plaster over.
Build the wood frame up(down) at the top then plaster board over 100mm of it. Not sure this is the done thing with an exterior door. would there be any issue to having a mega top frame piece size. Would have to cover over it some way on the outside too.

Any other suggestions welcome as this is not an area of expertise for me :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You really need to give a bit more information regarding the exterior as this can't be hidden like the interior behind a bit of plaster.

Brickwork or render?
Can you still get matching bricks
Hidden steel lintel or header bricks
Is the existing frame inset behind the outside skin or are both the inside and outside skins flush?

And as always, post a picture.

But in essence, yes you can do it. As TH says, you can patch the inside up with plasterboard, and if you can get the same bricks, then you can dovetail them into the existing frame to narrow the gap. And again, if you can get the bricks, you can add a hidden steel lintel, and rebuild the soldier course.

Are you doing this yourself, or getting someone in to do it.

You really need to give a bit more information regarding the exterior as this can't be hidden like the interior behind a bit of plaster.

Brickwork or render?
Can you still get matching bricks
Hidden steel lintel or header bricks
Is the existing frame inset behind the outside skin or are both the inside and outside skins flush?

Exterior is rendered, not sure about the existing lintel and the frame is inset behind the outside skin of brick work. I'd be getting a brickie to just build out the one side in the same fashion to keep the same door frame setup. Render over and paint to match the existing exterior, so matching bricks not such an issue.

And as always, post a picture.

But in essence, yes you can do it. As TH says, you can patch the inside up with plasterboard, and if you can get the same bricks, then you can dovetail them into the existing frame to narrow the gap. And again, if you can get the bricks, you can add a hidden steel lintel, and rebuild the soldier course.

Are you doing this yourself, or getting someone in to do it.

A tradesman for at least the brick work i'm now thinking and maybe get their opinion on bricking up the top. Although i'm leaning more towards some type of decorative wood transom piece on top of the frame that looks the same inside and out. I could manage that myself and less brick work involved. Thanks for the comments and any more input greatly appreciated. I don't have any pics to hand right now unfortunately.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As I suspected, inside won't be an issue, but as the outside is rendered, that'll be more tricky to match in, so question the brickie how he intend to make good, and how well it'll match afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back