Need spotlight wiring advise please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've read a few threads but couldn't find one that helped, figured I best start a fresh one.

I'm in need of advice regarding spot lighting. I moved into my flat three years ago and did some wiring myself, after some research on what to do and buying some replacement parts I've managed to get the lights on. However a few days ago the kitchen bulb went and I had to replace it - to my horror I found the wiring burnt to crisp. I also realised how lucky I've been that nothing was set alight in all my time here because I did the same with the one in the hall. I pulled that out and spotted a burn mark round that too.

I've now read that tape should NOT be used around wiring, I used it to wrap the terminal blocks. I took the tape out of Dad's toolkit without checking what it was, it didn't occur to me it was the wrong thing to do either because I've seen wirings wrapped with tapes before. Now I realised the idea of tape is... a bit silly and I've been a daft bugger for even doing it :(

I thought, best ask properly this time and get it done safely.

Here are the two exposed wires from the ceiling.

I've been using MR16/c 12v/50w bulbs attached to this Bulb socket G4 (Max 6A/24V), the two end wirings were screwed to a terminal Block 5A. Erm, the bulb is 50w, am I using the correct socket?

1. Should I be buying 10A or 15A terminal blocks instead, or is the issue the bulb socket?

2. I only taped it last time to secure the block, is it necessary for something to hold it or do I simply push it back into the ceiling as it is?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I had a look in the wiki guide but the coloured wirings in a 'choc box' is different to this, there are only two thin wires. Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to electrics, I'm beginning to think 50w bulbs might be a bad idea but 25w just doesn't seem bright enough, especially in the hallway.

Thank you all so kindly.

Sponsored Links
Were it not for the Clas Ohlson name I'd say that as long as the connections were sound then 5A terminal blocks and 6A lamp holders should be fine for 4.2A lamps.

The problem is almost certainly that the wires and connector block ended up too close to, or even actually touching, the back of the bulb.

If you must use those type of lights, despite the fact that they are designed to be no good for lighting up rooms, at least use a good make, with some kind of structure to them, rather than something nothing more than a lampholder with flying leads and a bit of trim.

The issue is that you're allowing the joint to sit on the back of the lamp which gets extremely hot during normal operation.

5A connectors are fine, but you need to push all the wiring as far away from the light as you can. Something like a garden cane will help. Keep ushing till all the wiring is gone and only the last 20mm of the lampholder wiring remains.

Is there sufficient clearance around the light from thermal insulation etc?

You mention this is a flat. Is there another dwelling above you? Is the ceiling you have drilled into part of a fire compartment system?

Sponsored Links
Were it not for the Clas Ohlson name I'd say that as long as the connections were sound then 5A terminal blocks and 6A lamp holders should be fine for 4.2A lamps.

The problem is almost certainly that the wires and connector block ended up too close to, or even actually touching, the back of the bulb.

If you must use those type of lights, despite the fact that they are designed to be no good for lighting up rooms, at least use a good make, with some kind of structure to them, rather than something nothing more than a lampholder with flying leads and a bit of trim.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, so my problem could have been as simple as the bulb touching the tape wrapped around the terminal block?

The two lighting positions are above my fridge in my small kitchen (I only have two spotlights in there) and right above my entrance, where I leave my shoes. I only use 50w because there is no window or natural light in the hall and I need 50w to be able to see what I'm cooking!

To be honest, I just need the spot light to work again and I'm not sure what a good make is, there are two cables sticking out the ceiling and I need to hook it up! :)

The issue is that you're allowing the joint to sit on the back of the lamp which gets extremely hot during normal operation.

5A connectors are fine, but you need to push all the wiring as far away from the light as you can. Something like a garden cane will help. Keep ushing till all the wiring is gone and only the last 20mm of the lampholder wiring remains.

Is there sufficient clearance around the light from thermal insulation etc?

You mention this is a flat. Is there another dwelling above you? Is the ceiling you have drilled into part of a fire compartment system?

Maybe that's it, you can see the insulation in the second picture being quite tight around the area. The spotlights were already here when the apartment was constructed back in 2000, I'm unsure what you mean by fire compartment system. There's a smoke alarm 30cm next to the hallway light though.

Maybe I just need to push all the insulation back first, then see if I can get the wiring in without any touching the back of the bulb.

So, what I've used was ok? Just avoid using the tape?

Thanks for the advise!

I was slightly misleading, I meant I did the wiring to two of my lights - after some research! :p Thanks for the reference, I'll wrap my head around that some time :)

Hi,

sorry, just to recap.

My 5a terminal block, and bulb connectors are ok with the 50w bulb?

All I have to do is ensure adequate space for the bulb by moving the thermal insulation and the wiring deeper into the ceiling.

And it's ok to push the terminal block in as it is? No protection needed?

Thanks!

The other thing you could do is change the lamps. I'm pretty sure the ones you have there are dichroic - if you hold them up to the light, are they translucent?

If you replace the lamps with aluminium reflector ones such as these, then much more of the heat will be directed downwards.

The ones you have, most of the heat goes back up behind the fitting.

dichroicbulbsbq.jpg

First time I've heard of 'dichroic' bulbs. Mine are just bog standard B&Q Halogen bulbs as seen here.

The aluminium reflector bulbs looks fine to me! Good website recommendation too because it doesn't look like they're standard in stores, unsurprisingly Amazon sells them but at £6 delivery charge!

I see that there are four temperature variations, oddly at the same price. The cooler the better I guess?

Thanks!

Just had the best laugh in a long time after reading through this thread.

Buying your parts to repair your fitting for the same to happen again, sooner rather than later.

Would love to see the wiring in that ceiling void.

I only repaired them once, this was the first time the bulb went out - forcing me to look inside and spot the burnt terminal block :(

The previous owner was a student and didn't really bother, I bought the place with half the spotlights not working, luckily all except two were just the bulb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back