need to replace my faulty WB 24cbi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some sound advice please,my worcester bosch 24cbi is only 8 years old and is need of another heat exchanger !! i have had 3 already but this time i'm gonna replace it but WHICH boiler ? i was thinking of WB greenstar 40cdi regular ? but have lost a bit of confidence in WB as a company,surely they should recall these exchangers as they fail regularly under 2 years for a heat exchanger is unheard of,please help,cheers,John.ps i've left the boiler on low overnight as this stops it from leaking all over the garage floor.

Sponsored Links
why would you want to go from a 24 to a 40 ?

how big is your house? how many rads do you have? do you have a cylinder or do you want to extend the house in the future etc.

its now a dorma bungalow eith 2 more bedrooms and en suite although i haven't put the staircase in yet and 14 rads in total,or 6 beds,2bathroooms & 1 en suite,although the showers have their own pump,John

why would you want to go from a 24 to a 40 ?

how big is your house? how many rads do you have? do you have a cylinder or do you want to extend the house in the future etc.

with 14 rads plus a cylinder a 24kw heat only or system boiler should be about right.

look at Vaillant ecotec plus 428 (heat only) or 624 or 630 (system) boilers all should do the job.
personally find the newer worcesters to be a bit plastic'y
fit vaillant's all the time and never been back to any for a fault with the boiler.

Sponsored Links
just had a recount and it's 17 :oops: rads but we don't have them all on at the same time cos its too hot,we do have a cylinder so do you think that would be ok with a 24kw system boiler ? it is quite a large detached bungalow(now dorma) and the old worcester is in the garage ? cheers,John.

with 14 rads plus a cylinder a 24kw heat only or system boiler should be about right.

look at Vaillant ecotec plus 428 (heat only) or 624 or 630 (system) boilers all should do the job.
personally find the newer worcesters to be a bit plastic'y
fit vaillant's all the time and never been back to any for a fault with the boiler.

the system boiler may struggle to circulate the water as most come with a 15/50 pump so i think you would be better off with the 428 with a seperate pump min size 15/60, as it is all on one level there will be a fair amount of resistance
the 624 would be a tad undersized as you would be looking for around 29Kw output with 17 rads plus cylinder.

although the cylinder is downstairs the expansion tank etc are upstairs would that make a difference ? pump at the moment is wilo gold 50,cheers,John.

the system boiler may struggle to circulate the water as most come with a 15/50 pump so i think you would be better off with the 428 with a seperate pump min size 15/60, as it is all on one level there will be a fair amount of resistance
the 624 would be a tad undersized as you would be looking for around 29Kw output with 17 rads plus cylinder.

shouldn't do.
if the wilo is coping, then yes use either boiler. The 428 is a smaller unit than the 630 which is "combi sized" although it is a system boiler it is the same carcass as the 800 series combi's
i have fitted more 400 series than the 600 series and had no complaints yet!! (hope this doesn't start them LOL)

think i'll go with the 630 as recommended in your earlier thread,it's in the garage so no probelm with space etc,is it ok to be in the garage ? just need to find a fitter now,me old 'un is a fitter but is on hols for another 3 weeks.......................sods law that

shouldn't do.
if the wilo is coping, then yes use either boiler. The 428 is a smaller unit than the 630 which is "combi sized" although it is a system boiler it is the same carcass as the 800 series combi's
i have fitted more 400 series than the 600 series and had no complaints yet!! (hope this doesn't start them LOL)

forgot to ask if its a big job or cost to change from a regular boiler to a system boiler(630) a fitter is contacting me today how much should i be looking at for a boiler change(ball park figure),cheers for all your advice,John.

shouldn't do.

4 heat exchangers in 8 years. The underlying cause of this wants investigating has anyone gave you any reasons to do with system faults

well the boiler was installed by WB engineers 8 years ago and had a service contract up until last year when i cancelled it saying if it fails again its out the door,WB engineers assured me nothing was wrong with the system it is the heat exchangers !! they said it was a very common problem,i have been on the telephone with WB but getting them to admit they should do a recall is impossible,if you google it like i did you will find many people have had the same problem with WB cast iron heat exchangers(wonder where they were made) ? John.

4 heat exchangers in 8 years. The underlying cause of this wants investigating has anyone gave you any reasons to do with system faults

most cbis leak from the o rings on the side not the heat ex itself,have only ever seen one that has failed and that was a very poor install.

well we did a check on all of them,my dad and father in law are both plumbing and heating engineers and one of which is still working at 69 !
and it is definately the exchangers you can see wehere the leak was coming from,all the o rings were changed as it comes in a kit with the new exchanger,trouble is we've also had 3 pcbs cos when it leaks it damages them as well,John.

most cbis leak from the o rings on the side not the heat ex itself,have only ever seen one that has failed and that was a very poor install.

here is one i found !!
s.c. shepley says:
October 1, 2009 at 5:01 pm
Would anybody like my Worcester boiler, low mileage (6 years old) service history, 4 replacement heat exchangers, diverter valve, new fan, pressure relief valve, new water inlet valve and pump stuck twice. Total spent so far £1450. Saving up for the next heat exchanger at the moment as it is due to fail anytime soon as it is getting on for 18 months old. If an old relative dies soon and leaves me some money, I can change the old banger for a new one certainly NOT a Worcester. Wonder if it qualifies under the government scrappage scheme!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back