Neighbour's roof - how dodgy is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door neighbour had a new roof fitted several weeks ago (I think they put a load of new tiles and cement on top of the existing tiled roof) and straight away I had rainwater seeping through the roof of my front porch where our (terraced) houses join.

Even to my amateur eye it looks like a shambolic piece of work, but just how bad is it really and what action should I be suggesting my neighbour take?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ok. That doesn't sound encouraging...

Sorry but it just looks so wrong. However I'll let one of the experts on here (luckily lots of very knowledgable guys) give you a proper explanation.

What makes you think they have tiled onto an existing roof?

Anyway looks like they have omitted installing an undercloak where the roof steps up and missed out the lead apron.
Apart from that shoddy as hell.

it needs stripping off and redoing. Hopefully no money has changed hands?

firstly bonds (side laps} are totally wrong. all flashings appear missing
including the flashing that should weather his roof to yours from under his undercloak that is not there..

to make things even worse the down pipe empties out onto the worst area.. those that know check the bonds below the downpipe

basically it's not a good job.. it's total cock up made by someone who has no clue...

What makes you think they have tiled onto an existing roof?

Anyway looks like they have omitted installing an undercloak where the roof steps up and missed out the lead apron.
Apart from that shoddy as hell.

The previous roof was at the level of the vanilla-coloured concrete (is it concrete?). I'm not sure if they took the old tiles off or not as I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but one thing for sure is that the roof is now twice the height from my roof as it was before. I don't know what they have used to raise the whole roof by that much (or why).

it needs stripping off and redoing. Hopefully no money has changed hands?

firstly bonds (side laps} are totally wrong. all flashings appear missing
including the flashing that should weather his roof to yours from under his undercloak that is not there..

to make things even worse the down pipe empties out onto the worst area.. those that know check the bonds below the downpipe

basically it's not a good job.. it's total cock up made by someone who has no clue...

Not sure if money has changed hands or not, but basically speaking my neighbour politely doesn't give a s**t. I've told him twice in a month that water is seeping into my house since he had the work done, and that he should think about having the whole thing looked at, and all he says is "sorry, I'll get the whole at the top filled in" as though that's the answer.

My fear is that there is the potential for serious structural damage if this isn't sorted properly, and "sorting it properly" is a concept beyond my neightbour's comprehension.

The neighbours roof is a complete mess, i think the only solution for them is to strip it off and start again.

At the very minimum the verge tiles should overhang the parapett wall by 50mm so that the rain would deip clear of the wall and not soak through your side of the wall.

Good Luck with your problem.

The travelling community strike again :mrgreen: Maybe it`s because you`re a Londoner - that you get ripped off so

Is it me or does it look like those tiles have been painted?
Yes the tiles have been painted.

It's the latest..."i'm gonna spend vast sums of money on an unnecessary job"...craze sweeping the country.

Similar to damp proof injection, driveway re-enhancement and eaves protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back