Neighbours smelled gas but didn't report it - London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Neighbours are suggesting they reported a smell of gas two weeks ago. When I have smelled gas and reported it, they have always turned up within the hour and I have reported it around four or five times at the same location - a single lane bridge, passing over a railway. They have made several maybe botched attempts to repair it, closing the bridge for short periods. Recently the bridge was closed for 14 days and I assume the entire pipe replaced.

Prior to our own gas main being replaced, it ran in iron pipe down the back gardens. They would appear every few months checking with a 'sniffer' for leaks in the back garden, until an all new main was installed down the road.

It leaves me wondering who the neighbours might have reported the smell to.

Sponsored Links
I’m not saying this was the cause of this explosion but I fear we may be seeing this type of explosion more and more as the cost of energy rises and people try to fiddle their gas to keep warm. It’s very worrying.

Sponsored Links
People have been asked not to speculate whilst the investigation is ongoing. As far as I am aware there is no evidence currently that it was not reported or that the meter was being fiddled.

Anyway surely its the cost of electricity at this time of year that is more concerning until we start the CH up again.

I’m not saying this was the cause of this explosion but I fear we may be seeing this type of explosion more and more as the cost of energy rises and people try to fiddle their gas to keep warm. It’s very worrying.

Kit being sold on eBay afaik to
Facilitate said caper

Not described as such but pretty obvious what it’s for ????

Afaik a smart meter will flag up tampering ????!!

I have to say that whenever I've reported smelling gas they've been out within the hour.

There was this scenic place I used to go to for lunch & the whiff was very faint & very much depended on the wind, but they were there for 2weeks replacing a huge main.

The latest was while out walking the house dog round t'village, he stood & sniffed so I let him follow it & he went straight to a gas meter box on a house 20ft away. They replaced the regulator I'm told in the thank you note.

There was a semi-famous gas explosion in our nearest town when I was at skool, killed 6 & blew 4x terraced houses to smithereens, I can still picture the image of the debris where those homes used to be. In much later years I ended up chatting with the first copper on the scene, he was there just before it all blew up & I remember him telling how the tarmac of the road outside was bubbling with the sheer pressure of the gas escaping. His biggest regret in life is raising the alarm 'cos he was convinced that he woke someone who turned on the light switch that ignited it !

I also immediately thought meter tampering linked to energy bills.

Apparently very popular with kebab shops. **

Last edited by a moderator:
The land lord of a pub in Essex woke up and could smell gas. He telephoned the gas board to report the smell and as he hung up the phone the village telephone exchange building was blown apart. It was fairly certain that the ignition was a spark as his telephone call cleared down.

Kit being sold on eBay afaik to
Facilitate said caper

Not described as such but pretty obvious what it’s for ????

Afaik a smart meter will flag up tampering ????!!
I don't believe this in the slightest - prove it - give us a link :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back