Neighbours want to extend garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has told me they want to extend their garage. Doing so will undoubtedly reduce the natural light that filters into our living room. We already have poor light and so this will make it significantly worse. We don't want to cause trouble and accept that life isn't always fair but my wife is registered blind (she has partial sight). Darkening the living room will make it harder for her. I thought it was fair to ask the neighbour to erect a tarpaulin which would mimic the garage extension. This could then prove the loss of light. If it's not too significant we won't argue. I'm not sure if we have any rights. Does anyone know.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
there is a right to light
https://www.selbydesign.co.uk/the-right-to-light-explained/#:~:text=It's an issue that is,an extension to a property.&text=In effect this means that,'a right to light'.
Essentially, a person’s ‘right to light’ is enshrined under common law and, in England and Wales, by the Prescription Act 1832.

In effect this means that a window that has received more than 20 years of unobstructed daylight has automatically earned itself ‘a right to light’.
do a search of RIGHT TO LIGHT and you will get a lot of results -

It depends on whether the works are permitted development, if not a planning application will have to be made.

Your neighbours are being "neighbourly" either way by letting you know, but you could call the local Council (planning authority) if unsure.

Blup

Right to light is a normally a non starter for house extensions. But might be an option. An expensive option.

Check planning regulations as to what they can do do with or without permission.

And Party Wall Act if it applies, as this can help with the final roof design to reduce impact.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks Woody and Blup, it sounds like we are stuck with it. I believe they will not need planning permission. I did hear there is some rule to protect you if you're lived in your home for over 20 years. We've lived here over 50 years. I shall look further into this but I guess we're resigned to it. We'll likely be dead in a few years anyway!

We'll likely be dead in a few years anyway!
:eek:. Stop that.

Btw, can I have your place in the vaccine queue? :whistle:

See if you have legal cover or advice on your home insurance policy. Ask about the right to light.

But remember what i said about using the party wall act.

If there is a right to light here, I suspect that an action would only succeed if the loss of light was sufficient to prevent the room affected from being used in its normal way (eg a living room would require a lower natural lighting level than - say - a dentist's treatment room).
A court might not take into account your wife's sight impairment, but might only consider what the average man in the street would think to be an unreasonable loss of light.
Clearly you don't want to stir things up unnecessarily as you have to live next door. Have you considered asking them if the wall facing your side could be painted white - that would bounce some additional light into the room.

And Party Wall Act if it applies, as this can help with the final roof design to reduce impact.

How can the PWA have any bearing on the design of the roof if the build is entirely on the neighbour's side?

How can the PWA have any bearing on the design of the roof if the build is entirely on the neighbour's side?
If the PWA applies it can be part of the award to minimise impact.

Also in extreme circumstances I can imagine a situation where the way the roof needs to be constructed (lets say definitely no access from the other side of the boundary) may dictate a certain design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back