New Alarm System

Thanks RF lighting, your post makes sense.

Joe, the main reason I wanted to go with EOL, is because hopefully if there is a fault it'll be easier to locate.

it will, its a popular misconception that EOL is harder than anyother method but DONT do the single resister EOL, its wrong, doesnt protect your cable properly and would get a pro installer a non conformance cert.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Saxondale, So I'd reduce the 33K resistor to 20K and add a 10K. Where would the 10K be positioned on my diagram?

Just checked the diagram from the manual that RF posted, Does the 10K go inline between the Zone on the control panel and the alarm tab on the PIR? I take it you solder the alarm cable onto the resistor and then fix the other end into the fixing point on the PIR?

But the chances of getting a fault are way higher by using EOL resistors. More connections, different cable/wire connections = more faults.
Keep it simple and you won't get any bother at all.

Get that from your obsolete manual too did you Joe?

OP, ignore the scare tactics on the EOL. He's only posting to cause confusion - again.

Sponsored Links
I've been using EOL for years without any problems.

And even if you do get a fault, at least you'll know what sort of fault, and which zone its on.

I've been using EOL for years without any problems.

And even if you do get a fault, at least you'll know what sort of fault, and which zone its on.

Well, that's the difference, the O/P is a DiYer, is he going to make quality joints using resistors, screw terminals & wire that are not going to give problems? I don't think so.

Fault finding with no experience as well, you do have an optimistic outlook on life.

I have no evidence to suggest that the OP will make poor quality joints / connections, so yes I will remain optomistic.

Fault finding is not difficult with a few basic tools, and a bit of guidance.

Thanks Saxondale, So I'd reduce the 33K resistor to 20K and add a 10K. Where would the 10K be positioned on my diagram?

Just checked the diagram from the manual that RF posted, Does the 10K go inline between the Zone on the control panel and the alarm tab on the PIR? I take it you solder the alarm cable onto the resistor and then fix the other end into the fixing point on the PIR?

Not wishing to belittle his abilities, does this not suggest he does not know / understand what he is doing?

I know this is a DiY forum and he's looking for help but honestly less is more in this situation.

I'd cheat instead of soldering, do something like this:
PIR:
image0003yr0.jpg

image0004yx8.jpg

What does everyone else think?

What's the benefit in a domestic situation? Global tamper is easier and far less chance of making a boo-boo.

Less wires to play about with, less junctions in main panel, identification of zone in tamper are some advantages which spring to mind.

Greater chance of wiring fault due to single wire resistor with multi-core cable. Not to mention the complete waste of time fiddling around with resistors in contacts/ short circuits etc.
If you stick to global tamper you are unlikely to have a fault so no need to look for one.
Oh and if you can't stick a couple of meter prongs on your connections in the panel and find the fault in seconds - you are in the wrong job anyway.
So what is the benefit? It's not a shop or warehouse.

What is easier to a DIYer, just looking at a keypad which says which zone is in tamper, or taking your panel cover off, checking voltage across the outgoing tamper wires then IDing the cable to which zone it referrs?
You make it sound hard work to screw a couple of resistors in??
What is a single wire resistor???
I'd have thought the odds on the faults were similar wether it eol or global tamper i.e. if a cable is damaged or the cover removed from a PIR. The mistake could be made with a multicore cable wether 4 cores of 6 cores are being used, more likely with 6 core I'd have thought.

Using EOL removes the need joint the tamper pair from each detector to one another in the panel to form the global tamper.

On an 8 zone panel, thats a potential 7 less joints to go wrong for starters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back